1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Car wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Meredithlea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont stay running

Hi, I am new to this (the forum AND the car lol) I have a 98 plymouth Neon that has been NOTHING but problems since I got it in Feb. So I am going to try my best to let you know what is going on and hope there is someone who can help me

Ok, I drove the car a few weeks ago to take my kids to school and it ran fine, got home parked it and then went to leave a few hours later and it wouldn't start. It cranked but wouldn't fire. I checked the things my dad always told me to check... oil, gas, plugs... The plugs had oil in them (because I spilled oil when filling it after an oil change from one of those big 5 quart jugs ) So I took out the plugs, cleaned them up and the wells and then noticed that the 3rd plug was cracked so we went and got new ones to replace it with. Then my husband saw that there was no spark so with checking the coil, noticed that the 3rd post was burnt... so we replaced that. Then my battery wouldn't hold a charge so I took it to be tested and it wouldn't even let the machine on it... the pos post was shorting out and throwing the tester off. So I replaced the battery... still wouldn't start. The pump was humming and fuel was getting to the rail (hadn't checked pressure yet) so I called a dodge mechanic and he told me IT HAS TO BE THE CAM SENSOR! I AM 100% SURE OF THIS. So we changed that... still wouldn't work. Would start with starting fluid but wouldn't stay running once it was burned off. So we checked the injectors and they click when the engine is cranked. Checked the power supply and it is good. Then we gave up and it sat for 2 days. Went back out on Sat to figure it out, and there as suddenly no pressure in the fuel rail, so we took the hose off the pressure regulator and turned the car on... no gas shot out even though it was humming. I just replaced the fuel pump and the regulator in August so I just got a new pump and not the regulator. Well, I put it in on Monday and here is what it does now: It will ONLY start if it has starting fluid. After it fires up it runs and drives perfectly but absolutely will not start on it's own! Fuel pressure is good now 50 psi I believe. Also it was hooked up to one of those reader things obd2 (IDK if that is what it is, I could be making that name up haha) but it isn't throwing any codes...

I researched a little last night because there is spark now, there is fuel now, but for what ever reason it wont start. So there is this little black canister looking thing off the air filter thing (here is where I get real technical with parts names lol) that has vacuum hoses that goes to it. I THINK it is the egr valve?? Well when the engine is trying to be cranked it gets really hot... like almost untouchable hot... and I am wondering if it is supposed to do that? Could that cause the car not to fire? I am desperate for help! Our family of 4 can not rely on a s10 pickup anymore

Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM
fast_ginger9
Default haha its probably the egr

i hate to tell you this but the first thing i thought of was the egr valve. i had the same problem. the solution is fairly painless. youll have to look it up off of google or something but what youll need to do is block the egr valve. dont get me wrong here with all the new parts you have, you should have a good working car for a long while. depending on your engine model there is a pipe down by your radiator on the drivers side. youll just need to cut a piece of plastic (or something simalar) to block that pipe. the pipe sucks in unburnt gases from the exhuast. after time theres a valve in the egr system (that is supposed to open and close according what the computer tells it) that gets stuck wide open. when it does it causes a vacuum in your intake system thereby starving your engine of air. block the egr off and that should solve your problem... at least i hope so. dont be shy anymore questions reply and i get back to you as soon as i can. good luck :P

Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Meredithlea

I was sort of thinking EGR valve myself, but I was tired of putting money into it with out knowing something. Thank you!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Meredithlea

UGH! we can not get the EGR valve off to save our lives! It will not budge!

In other news, I need to drop the flippen fuel tank again because the gas gauge isn't working... now I know that that is the least of my worries since the car wont start but it still needs to be done.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM
d46313neon
Amateur
Default help is on the way

They sell a egr blocking plate at most auto part stores use pb blaster 10 mins b4 u try to take the egr off and give it a good nudge to tighten the bolts then they should break free real easy use anti seize when its ready to go back together. Lol i had the same prob when i put a turbo on my 98 highline/competition neon. If u need anymore info u can email me directly at d46313@yahoo.com.
Have fun.

Quick Reply: Car wont stay running