1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 DOHC timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 AM
myraus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 DOHC timing belt replacement

Hi everyone, I'm new here after picking up a 98 DOHC with 308000 kms {185000 miles} on the odometer. Runs good but needs some maintenance. First off, the timing belt needs to be done and I have been reading up on here how to change it, and also been checking as to what is available for kits and I will replace the water pump at the same time too.
The question I have is, I see the kits which say that they replace the hydraulic tensioner with a mechanical one. I want to know which is better, which is easier to replace, and which one is more reliable. I am also replacing the tensioner pulleys at the same time too.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the reasons why they switched from a mechanical to a hydraulic tensioner is because they failed too often. Spring gets weak or stuck and does not do its job causing it to fail. I believe from 97 on, all motors were hydraulic instead of mechanical - including 2nd gens. May have been from 96 on, but there are WAY more hydraulic then mechanical ones out there if that gives you any perspective.

As long as you have good oil pressure, your hydraulic tensioner should not fail as there is really nothing to fail. If you lose oil pressure, you have other bigger issues to worry about - like catastrophic failure!

Easier? If you have a hydraulic tensioner, then it is easier to leave alone then to redo, so leave it alone and just replace the belt, tensioners, and water pump.

JM2C

Quick Reply: 1998 DOHC timing belt replacement