1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil light issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
RebelX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil light issues

98 neon dohc. I changed oil 2 weeks ago with the recommended.10w30 like always.

The issue is the oil light on the.cluster comes on randomly. Ive checked.the oil level and its perfect. Light will come on idling or.driving. be on a few min to 10-15. No changes in engine performance though.

It doesnt seem to matter if the.car is cold or warmed up.

Im thinking bout.installing a mechanical guage.to watch the pressure. Where do i hook it up to on the engine?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
DodgeStorm
Rookie

It could be the sending unit...the device that causes the oil light to come on. I only say this because mine came on in a -10F drive last January one morning, and now everyone once in a while it flickers on and off at idle in the cold...but the engine is fine. It rarely comes on, so I'm pretty confident its the unit. You might want to try installing a new oil sensor, as should I.

Purely my opinion.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

And as for an answer for your original question, if you want to install a mechanical oil pressure guage (or even an electrical one), you can do it in one of two ways:

1) replace the existing OEM oil pressure sending unit (OPSU) with your new one. You will also have to fix it so that you don't get a false warning by the now non-existent OEM OPSU.

2) Find a T connector to screw into the hole where the OEM OPSU was, put the OEM OPSU off one side of the T and your new one on the other. That way, you keep the OEM idiot light functional as well as add the extra capability of your guage.

I recommend #2.

If you don't know where the OEM OPSU is located, it is a bitch to get to. It is located about 3 ~ 4 inches above the steering rack, on the back side (firewall) of the motor near the tranny (drivers side). It is almost impossible to see because of all the crap below it while under the car, and you have to reach around to get a hand/tool on it. Not hard, just aggravating.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RebelX
Im thinking bout.installing a mechanical guage.to watch the pressure. Where do i hook it up to on the engine?
Not a good idea at all. You don't want hot oil circulating thru the cabin of your vehicle popping a leak and shooting oil all over you while driving.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM
RebelX
Professional

Originally Posted by das2123
Not a good idea at all. You don't want hot oil circulating thru the cabin of your vehicle popping a leak and shooting oil all over you while driving.
Tru, but i have one in my durango which carries 60pds of.pressure.driving. been in there over a year with no problems. Same with my monte carlo which carries 30 idling and 60-80 running due to a high pressure pump for.its stroker motor

Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket?

If you installed it and feel comfortable, then by all means. Most people wanna take a shortcut and not do it properly.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
RebelX
Professional

oh i agree das, im not arguing, im thinking temp basis to make sure everythings ok.

what i really want to do it put a pillar guage pod in with a electric aftermarket guage for oil and voltage instead of having idiot lights on the dash. usually when those come on. its to late anyways.

but right now. sadly funds dont allow that in my plans right now as i had to put a new water pump. both rad hoses and new battery into my durango, plus a new belt.....few hundred bucks...but was much needed anyways, the water pumps bearings were weak. hoses looked bad and batt was 3-4yrs old. not good in north iowa winters

Quick Reply: oil light issues