1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Is engine Damaged ? or Just some Pump broke ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 AM
p3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is engine Damaged ? or Just some Pump broke ?

Worried here.. today on the way to airport, my little neons fuel pressure light lit up on the dash... and it started to sound really loud as if you would hear a car fitted with custom muffler.. but same sound from the front of the car...

So did key dance and go following error codes

I had 12 and 21 before cause i think my o2 sensors are bad. But 42 is the new code.. looked at the chart and it says " 42 Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles "

I have no idea what is wrong. Any clues will be good. I will be dropping car to a garage but it will help if i had a clue what was it going to cost me and if it was worth trying to attempt to fix the problem. The car runs still/turns over and everything but the sound is loud and scary and the light for oil is on solid.

Created a small video maybe it will help figure out what's causing the loud sound.

http://www.sbclansite.com/carpics/car-neon-bad.wmv

Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM
p3
Rookie

Got it checked today, since no replies here thought i update. Shop said engine seals broke, hence the major pool of oil i saw today after topping it up last night. Said 850 $ to fix, will be replacing timing belt, water pump and the seals. 450$ for labour alone.

Looks like might be scrapping my car, if anyone here from saskatoon and want to buy it off me gimme a shout.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:55 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$850 isn't too bad if they replace everything and get it running correctly. You would be good to go for an additional 1000,000 miles on the engine for $850!!! Just some food for thought.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM
p3
Rookie

Just selling it today.. dont want to later on then fix the struts as one of them is leaking and also the freaking odometer is not working. Not sure what else might broke maybe its time to treat myself to a suburu impreza.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
p3
Rookie

Sold my neon these forums are not much help however for neon owners of that era though just my observation. Anyways will see what my next car would be. .. see yaa fellas.

Quick Reply: Is engine Damaged ? or Just some Pump broke ?