1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

'96 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remembered you said you already did that. Have you checked the connections at the starter and alternator for corrosion?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
djkooldown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by otgarzā
All i can think of now is the engine grounds not sure where they would be for you specific engine tho. Also make sure you dont have gas on your plugs i had that happen once, wiped em off and it started right up...but i dont really think that would be the prob.
I will check the grounds when I go back outside in a few. I cleaned the plugs this morning so we'll see. Also I think that the fuel pump might be losing pressure. I checked the injectors last night an they would spray and then quit I don't know maybe they are resetting? Starter and Alternator are in A+ condition no corrosion

Last edited by djkooldown; 01-31-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Hmmm well if the injectors werent shooting fuel wouldnt the starting fluid crank the car and start it for a bit? try the starting fluid after cleaning the spark plugs and see if itll start...its also good to check for a strong blue spark from each of the plugs.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:22 PM
djkooldown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I tested all the plugs and replaced them. They are getting great spark. I sprayed some methanol in the engine and turned it over that lil SOB fired right up! I took the fuel pump out and tested it (It's losing pressure!) so I need to replace the pump and should be good to go... ... only problem is the cheapest fuel pump around here is $230 I'm not about to pay that so I'm going to the junk yard and grab as many pumps as I can find for $59 and maybe some other parts

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
otgarzā
Captain

Originally Posted by djkooldown
Okay, so I tested all the plugs and replaced them. They are getting great spark. I sprayed some methanol in the engine and turned it over that lil SOB fired right up! I took the fuel pump out and tested it (It's losing pressure!) so I need to replace the pump and should be good to go... ... only problem is the cheapest fuel pump around here is $230 I'm not about to pay that so I'm going to the junk yard and grab as many pumps as I can find for $59 and maybe some other parts
Awesome glad you checked everything out and found the fuel pump loosing pressure. Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Quick Reply: '96 Starting Problem