1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help !!! Crankshaft Dampner Pulley.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 PM
moparsrule60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help !!! Crankshaft Dampner Pulley.

Trying to put my crankshaft pulley back on. Rented installation tool at autozone won't fit. Was wondering if can just use the original bolt with a washer on it and use to place the pulley back on. Or just a longer bolt with about 3 washers on it then after getting the pulley on replace with the original bolt. Local mechanic said to use original bolt with washer and take my time and should have no problem. Cannot find any other installer tools around my area. Let me know what your opinions are. Thanks Alot ! Okay just wasted most of my Saturday trying to find an installer tool for the harmonic balancer no one has one. Saw on youtube a guy just used a longer bolt than the original bolt. but guess what nobody has the exact size I need . Only place might be fastenal but they are closed until Monday. Would it be okay to slowly tap it on with a hammer until about 4 of the threads on the original bolt grab ahold then use it to bring the balancer down all the way on the shaft or will this damage anything.

Last edited by moparsrule60; 03-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
yokotaashi
Amateur

I just did mine a couple weeks ago and had to use the original bolt to get it started then switched to the puller. Impact ratchet helps. If you need to use the hammer don't worry too much about getting it on straight because one you get it tight against the back it will be straight.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Megaputz
Amateur

Have read that heating it up in the oven to 400f helps. Along with a torch. Richpin on youtube used original bolt with washers along with impact.

I just shimmied the pully on , gave it a few good smacks with a 5lb hammer than installed bolt with impact hammer. Don't forget your blue locktight on threads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdFV7LgIPqA

Last edited by Megaputz; 03-22-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Help !!! Crankshaft Dampner Pulley.