1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

fuel pressure reg questions/rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 PM
verileblue07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure reg questions/rough idle

hi i have a 95 neon with a 2001 2.0 sohc motor i just pulled off my fuel pump to fix a gas leak and i know the fuel pressure regulator normally has a vac line in it but mine doesnt im wondering if it should or not it has the post where it looks like it should go and also im having trouble with my car idleing really rough it drives down the road fine but runs rough when stopped i know my plugs wires and coil pack are good and my lower end o2 sensor is broke off would that cause that bad of an idle ive seen ppl say it could be a bad iac or egr and my iac is good and i believe the egr is good but i did take it off like a 96 97 or 98 the only diff as far as i could tell was where it was routed

thanks for your time

Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuel pressure. Should be at 49 psi. That will take care of any questions about pressure and such. Rough idles can be a number of things. Plugs, wires, coil pack (all of which you say are good), O2 sensors, EGR, plugged cat, clogged fuel rail, bad/stuck injector and so on. Time to start troubleshooting.

Did you drill the hole for the EGR? As I remember, 2001 engines don't have the EGR valve.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
verileblue07

Originally Posted by das2123
Check the fuel pressure. Should be at 49 psi. That will take care of any questions about pressure and such. Rough idles can be a number of things. Plugs, wires, coil pack (all of which you say are good), O2 sensors, EGR, plugged cat, clogged fuel rail, bad/stuck injector and so on. Time to start troubleshooting.

Did you drill the hole for the EGR? As I remember, 2001 engines don't have the EGR valve.

well it was the egr at first (and no it had the hole it was just plated) but i took it off and it was bad but i put the old one on after a half assed cleaning and it ran great till some crap i had knocked loose clogged it so i took it back off and thouroughly cleaned it once again it ran great untill it started showing symptoms of a bad iac so i changed that and it still had a rough idle so i scanned it again and its saying the tps is bad but the screw is seized up in there so im just gonna get a new throttle body so i can change that hopefully it wont just jump to the next problem lol but thanks for the responce and suggestions

Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with a bolt on the tps. Had to brake the sensor all apart to get it off...lol.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM
verileblue07
Default rough idle on and off

ok heres an update and more details first o all i recently switched my motor to the 2001 and in the process itgot new head gaskets new seals nw motor mounts gave it a whole valve job new timeing belt i know its not a spark problem the cam/ crank sens are good the egr valve is good no vacume leaks i replaced the iac(its not brand new but i checked it with a scanner and it seems to be responding/ working properly) i had a code show up for the tps for a min there but i beleive that was due to unplugging it while it was running i cleared it and ran it for a while and it didnt show up again it has a new oil press sensor and the odd thing with that was that all the new ones i could get didnt match to the plug(idk why) but i got the new plug for it and wired it in i replaced the fuel pump checked all the fuel injectors it runs good but idles rough off and on like it comes and goes any thoughts would be appriciated and im sre i left something out so any questions feel free to ask thanks for your time

Quick Reply: fuel pressure reg questions/rough idle