1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

97 Highline Sohc surging issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 PM
tigg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Highline Sohc surging issues

I recently put my 97 Dodge Neon Highline Atx back on the road a few months ago, it sat pretty much for about 2 years only being started once, to drive it on a car trailer when I moved. So after a couple months of driving it recently started this Lurching/Surging stuff. At first I thought it only did it around 55-60+mph but thats only when it starts getting violent .. kinda like driving a stick and not giving it quiet enough gas making it jump back and forth violent. I noticed recently that is does it in lower speeds, but not as noticable, feels more like the tranny slipping in and out of gear ( for lack of a better description) I probably wouldn't have noticed that if I hadn't just installed a newer Instrument cluster that has a tach and I can see the rpm jump up and then down. I also does it while idling as well.. but it doesn't do it everytime.. sometimes I can drive it for miles or days and it not do it, other times I get a mile or so.
The Service engine soon light came on ( I wasn't aware that the build in the other cluster had went out) and I had advanced auto hook it to the code reader and it came back as the upstream OS2, which the young guy promptly told me that an OS2 sensor wouldn't cause the problem I described... but a couple other friend state it most certainly can cause it. I has thought possibly the cat was bad, but no code for it, and no "egg smell" from it. This is my only vehicle and a limited budget and would love to hear your opinions guys. I have ordered an upstream os2 from rock auto since they were 20 instead of the 60-80 from stores
thanks a ton

A bit more info: The service engine light will go off while its running good and of course come back on when it starts acting up and its always the os2 sensor, I had before i replaced the cluster, replaced the fuel pump, regulator, plugs and wires thinking it was somewhere in the fuel line, and since its started this I have noticed a drop in my fuel efficency.

Last edited by tigg; 06-15-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a bad O2 but also check the wiring and make sure its OK. Sometimes the wires get frayed or erode because of oil.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
tigg

TY Das, I didn't even consider that. Will def check that out in the morning.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 AM
projectNeon100

Check ur EGR valve its right by ur fuse box that runs off ur exhaust that controls ur idles that's could have something

Old 07-19-2012, 03:04 AM
tigg

Originally Posted by projectNeon100
Check ur EGR valve its right by ur fuse box that runs off ur exhaust that controls ur idles that's could have something
Funny thing is, 5 mins before you replied with this my check engine light had come back on after changing os2 and still having the same issues. I stopped by advanced auto to use the code reader again, and low and behold is was the EGR code. havent changed it yet because money hasn't been there, cheapest I found is rockauto for 44. I didn't realize an EGR could cause such issues lol.. but thanks for the reply, hoepfully soon I can replace it and *cross fingers* hopefully it will be fixed.. runs great when its running good

Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always pull the EGR and try cleaning it up with some brake cleaner and reinstall. You get those symptoms when it gets stuck open or block it off till you can get a new one.

Quick Reply: 97 Highline Sohc surging issues