1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM
projectNeon100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

My 97 the check engine light will go on and off randomly... its getting really annoying can anyone help me that would be much appreciated

Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

The next time it goes on do the Dodge key dance (Turn key to On pos, then back to Off, repeat 2 more times in less the 5 seconds). When you turn key back to On again, watch the CEL and see how it blinks. It will blink 'x' times, pause, blink 'x' times again. The number of blinks are error codes numbers, and each set of two numbers is a specific error code.

For example, blink blink, pause, blink blink, pause is error code 22.

Ignore error code 12 (if you get it) and the last code you will read is always 55 (no more codes/no codes). You can repeat this key dance as many times as you need in order to make sure you got it right. Write them down and post them here, or look them up yourself. The list of error codes is posted as a sticky thread in this forum.

If you have an intermittant problem (such as a O2 sensor going bad) then the light will come on when the 'bad' signal is detected, and will go off if after 'x' cycles the problem does not appear again.

OR, the next time your CEL comes on, stop by Autozone, Advance, OReilly, NAPA, what-have-you and get a free OBD-II readout from them. That will give you the 4digit P-code errors.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM
4doorneon
Rookie

Like mentioned above it is most likely your downstream O2 sensor. I experienced my CEL come on and off under heavy acceleration but would also get a little bit of sputtering also.

Quick Reply: check engine light