1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Speedometer problem with a 1996 Dodge Neon

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
ferjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer problem with a 1996 Dodge Neon

I just bought a neon, it runs great, only issue is with the speedo. It works fine in the morning when it is cool, after it sits in the sun all day, in the evening it doesnt work. I can tap on top of the cluster and the needle will jump up and down, or I can put a little pressure on the cluster and it will work as long as there is pressure. In the morning it will work fine till it gets hot out, then it will quit again. Anyone ever seen this and know what to do about it? My dad wants me to take it to a Dodge dealer, they will probably want to replace the whole cluster. Is there a easy fix to this or should I bring it to the dealer?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
4doorneon
Rookie

Sounds like you need to do the solder fix. Heres a link if you know how to solder or you can download the image to show someone else the points. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-repair.html

Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
ferjr

Thanks for the info!!! I have a soldering iron, I will be checking it out as soon as I get off of work and get home. Thanks again, greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:52 AM
ferjr

It worked!!! Speedometer is working great now.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM
ALLDATAdiyINFO
Former Vendor

Glad to hear you fixed your issue. For future symptom related issue or just repair information, we at Alldatadiy.com have the information as well as DTC codes and how to fix.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM
bam499
Default speedometer problem easy fix

remove instrument cluster by removing the upper dash by pulling up on the dash and then removing the panels under the steering wheel then remove the instrument cluster 4 screws and pull the cluster towards yourself and it will disconnect the wiring connectors. then put the connectors back on and turn the key to the on position and wiggle the connectors to see if the connectors are loose, if the gauges work then keep the wiring connectors on and do not put the connectors in the slot they were in just put the cluster in and put the screws in and tighten the screws. that will keep the connectors tight and then put the dash back together. it will take about an hour. i figured out the problem myself since i did that i have not had a problem with any of the gauges. i hope this will help

Quick Reply: Speedometer problem with a 1996 Dodge Neon