1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

timing problem plz help fast i need this car for work and cant figure out whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM
smokey_1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing problem plz help fast i need this car for work and cant figure out whats wrong

i have a 2.4 swaped neon i got the 2.4 out of a 1998 dodge stratus i drove the car for about 2 months after the swap ( did not change the head gasket because of money problems) then it started over heating and i had antifreeze in my oil i figured it was the head gasket so i replaced that well replacing the gasket i might have turned the cams counterclockwise i really cant remember but after replacing the gasket i went to start the car and it wont start it tries but wont i checked spark and fuel and im getting both i dont have the tools to check compresion but all the bolts were tourqed to 90 lbs in the criss cross pattern 2 times around at 60lbs and once at 90lbs so the only other problem i can think of is my timing is way off were its supposed to be ive been trying to find out if this is an interference motor or not but i cant find a straight anwser anywhere plz help asap

Old 08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

First check for CEL codes. This will help to make sure everything is connected and working, it also may show you that the timing is off depending on the codes. Next thing is to check compression if you have fuel and spark, The car needs 3 things to run. TIMED spark, Fuel, and compression. So if you eliminated the compression, spark, and fuel there is only one thing left... Timing. Depending on the compression readings, this will show you if the timing is off also. If the car has 100+psi of compression I bet your timing is off a hair or 2, if its lower the timing could be way off, or the headgasket didn't seal. Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM
smokey_1
Amateur

yea it help a little but is there a way to check commpresion with out the tools for it cause i dont have them

Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Yea you could also do a leak down test with a differential cylinder leak down tester.

Quick Reply: timing problem plz help fast i need this car for work and cant figure out whats wrong