1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Swapping out GSX cams for turbo'd engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:45 AM
amasto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping out GSX cams for turbo'd engine

I have a 98 R/T and added a Hahn stage 2 turbo kit. The kit comes with a 20G turbo and a side mount intercooler. I added the turbo about 9 months ago with 90K miles on the engine. I just blew my head gasket 11K miles later and am wondering if anyone knows whether I should consider this expected, or if I need to do some serious mods while I replace my head gasket. I am only running about 7 lbs of boost and drive it fairly mild, but I live in a hot area, around 100 degrees in the summer time. I read that possibly changing out to SOHC pistons might take down the compression which would make the engine run a little more reliably. This is my daily driver so I would like it to be fairly reliable.

I am also wondering if anyone knows about any advantages or disadvantages to swapping the cams out to Mitsubishi GSX cams. The Mits engine and the DOHC Neon engines are both 420A, and the GSX is the turbo'd version of the Eclipse. It would make sense for the GSX cams to fit and run better in the Neon engine, but I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this or if someone might just have a more educated guess.

Other mods I have are any upgraded MOPAR computer, custom straight pipe 3" exhaust, and custom hood scoop for forced cold air instead the hot air the the HAHN kit grabbed by the firewall.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:23 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Swapping out GSX cams for turbo'd engine

You are sadly misinformed as to the engine designations. All Neons (except the SRT-4) and the 95-99 non-turbo Eclipses use the same Chysler-designed 2.0L block. However, only the non-turbo Eclipse is the 420A, because that is the designation Mitsubishi gave it when they put their own head on it (reverse flow). The Chrysler versions were designated the D4RE (DOHC) and S4RE (SOHC) with Chrysler designed heads. The cams for the 420A and D4RE are not interchangeable. On top of that, the turboed version of the Eclipse is a totally different engine, the 4G63. Nothing is interchangeable. Crane and Crower offer a massive selection of cams if you feel you must upgrade.

Ditch the Mopar computer. It advances the timing way too much and you are that much closer to detonation. Or you can try using ignition timing retard devices like the MSD DIS-2.

Best of luck!

Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
neon1985
Professional
Default RE: Swapping out GSX cams for turbo'd engine

totally different engines different everything..

Quick Reply: Swapping out GSX cams for turbo'd engine