1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Longworthb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

What's up guys I'm Brandon first post here. I recently picked up a 97 neon espresso dohc auto. I've put on dynamax exhaust and a cai for now. My question is do all 97s have a bobble strut? Because my motor rocks something horrible shifting into drive sitting still. I seen a few pics online about where it should be and i can't seem to find the damn thing. I also need to replace the exhaust flange gasket but just my luck the flange is rusting out. Has anyone come across a quick fix for the bobble strut issue till I can get one on it next week? I'm pretty damn sure it's not there. I don't even see the bracket it is suppose to bolt to. Any help would be aplreciated

Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Longworthb
What's up guys I'm Brandon first post here. I recently picked up a 97 neon espresso dohc auto. I've put on dynamax exhaust and a cai for now. My question is do all 97s have a bobble strut? Because my motor rocks something horrible shifting into drive sitting still. I seen a few pics online about where it should be and i can't seem to find the damn thing. I also need to replace the exhaust flange gasket but just my luck the flange is rusting out. Has anyone come across a quick fix for the bobble strut issue till I can get one on it next week? I'm pretty damn sure it's not there. I don't even see the bracket it is suppose to bolt to. Any help would be aplreciated
Welcome to the forum!

Only Manuals have bobble struts. More then likely the issue is a worn front mount. I usually fill them with 3m quick dry window weld. Try youtube for the how to. What exhaust flange gasket to you speak of? The donut off the manifold?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Longworthb

Ya it's the donut gasket

Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Longworthb

And when I say rock it rocks man. Back probably close to 2 inches and bangs loud as hell

Old 10-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Longworthb

Another question. How many mounts are on the motor. And which one do u believe to be the problem if the engine only rocks back not forward

Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Longworthb
Another question. How many mounts are on the motor. And which one do u believe to be the problem if the engine only rocks back not forward
They make aftermarket split flanges for the downpipe. The motor has 3 mounts. The front one controls front to back motion.