1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

are DOHC and SOHC Head bolts interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default are DOHC and SOHC Head bolts interchangable?

No more than I commit to myself to in the coming weeks change the timing belt & water pump for my 11,000 mile delayed 100,000 mile tune up, the tensioner broke and left the belt loose. Not sure if my head grenaded or not, engine seems to turn over completely when clicking the starter over click by click.

Anyway being the vetran Neon owner that I am, I decided that seeing the belt was so loose and probably took a valve out I would just throw a head off a backup 95 sohc I had laying around thats been ported.

Now the problem....

I priced out all my meterials needed online before I went auto parts store hopping around town and I found that Napa had the cheapest head bolts at $23.17, but when I got to the store the guy said it was only for DOHC engines.

Are the head bolts between sohc and doch engines the same? or are there differences in length? Thanks. To be clear I want to use Napa's $23 Felpro DOHC head bolts on my SOHC head/motor.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 12-16-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
No more than I commit to myself to in the coming weeks change the timing belt & water pump for my 11,000 mile delayed 100,000 mile tune up, the tensioner broke and left the belt loose. Not sure if my head grenaded or not, engine seems to turn over completely when clicking the starter over click by click.

Anyway being the vetran Neon owner that I am, I decided that seeing the belt was so loose and probably took a valve out I would just throw a head off a backup 95 sohc I had laying around thats been ported.

Now the problem....

I priced out all my meterials needed online before I went auto parts store hopping around town and I found that Napa had the cheapest head bolts at $23.17, but when I got to the store the guy said it was only for DOHC engines.

Are the head bolts between sohc and doch engines the same? or are there differences in length? Thanks. To be clear I want to use Napa's $23 Felpro DOHC head bolts on my SOHC head/motor.

They most definitely ARE NOT the same.

Quick Reply: are DOHC and SOHC Head bolts interchangable?