1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Rough Idle when in gear or neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
gachikoo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle when in gear or neutral

This morning when I started my car everything ran fine. Once it warmed up I noticed the car was shaking a lot and the idle sounded like that of a motorcycle. I tried putting it in neutral and the problem persisted. I know my clutch is going out but I am in the process of buying a car in the next few days and need it to last just until then. Another thing to note is that it was slightly chilly this morning at about 38ish. Also I was unable to fully let it warm up but the problem only started once the engine was warmed up.
1995 dodge neon 5 speed manual.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
gachikoo

Also, when I try and start the car it takes about 10 seconds of turning the key over to get it going. And pulling off in first, if I dont have the revs about double what they normal are, the car almost stalls

Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 PM
go-part
Former Vendor

It could be a number of things, a bad coil pack, a bad/dirty IAC(Idle Air Control Valve) , or a bad TPS(Throttle position sensor)..

Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My rough idle was caused by bad intake valve seals, ran rough for 6 months and just got worse and worse. No lie. I know it was bad intake valve seals because I changed my exhaust valve seals a year prior and got lazy to change the intake seals, then as a last ditch effort to save what I thought was a tired motor I changed the rest of the seals which were intake and it fixed the problem. I also had the hard starts as well and this cured that. To change the valve seals yourself, use a 13mm wrench and pivot off the rocker arms, but before doing this check the obvious things like plugs & wires, otherwise just go ahead and change the valve seals if you're over 100k miles.

Valve seals are a must to change on these engines after about 110,000 miles. Power you gain back is also impressive.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 01-05-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle when in gear or neutral