1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 neon thats confusing me...maybe electrical

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
jpeckham
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 neon thats confusing me...maybe electrical

i have a 96 neon highline. once every couple weeks the car would just die than would start back up after a few minutes. and today it did it again, but this time when i started it back up the motor was revving extremely high like it was going to blow, the gauges were bouncing allover, and when i went to shut it off it was diesling before it finally shutoff (chugging), also no power and chugging (couldnt get it past 10-15 mph. after letting it sit for about 15 minutes, started right up with no problems and drove it home.

when i say the car would die, there was no chugging or dimming, just shut off.
last time i had the problem of it shutting off frequently, i replaced the temperature sensor and cam sensor. it fixed the problem for quite awhile now its back but not as frequent as before (couple times a day). thinking maybe the crank sensor but needs more opinions and advice before i go spend the 100 dollars to get it and find out its not the problem. specially since im laid off at the moment due to equipment problems with limited income.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
jpeckham

can someone help me out here. i need this running soon

Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Porscheguy

Is it tbi, or tpi? If its tpi, I'd clean the throttle body, check/replace the throttle position sensor, the crank and cam sensors, and replace the auto shut down relay and go from there. All are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

If its tbi, possibly replace the throttle body injectors...kinda shooting in the dark here. Does sound like a fuel issue, though.
If your gauges were bouncing, very possibly something electrical...possibly the ecu.

Last edited by Porscheguy; 01-10-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 neon thats confusing me...maybe electrical