1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
moparsrule60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator question

Yesterday the battery light on my 1995 Neon came on just when I started to head home from work. So I would restart the car and when at idle the light would not reappear until each time went down the road abit. Each time shut off and restart car the light goes out at idle but comes back on when driving. New battery, and the alternator replaced a few months ago but it was a used one. Is the alternator most likely going out and how far can I drive it safely to get it home . Have about a 26 mile drive home, should I risk trying to make it home or replace the alternator at my workplace.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a fully charged battery and a weak alternator (assuming the battery is up to spec) you should have about 45 minutes of driving time with no accessories on. I would first check the battery and alternator using a multimeter 13.8+ volts is acceptable when running, 11.5+ volts on a relaxed battery not running. The battery temp sensor can also cause this light. Also check to make sure all your connections are tight and the belt is not slipping.

Quick Reply: Alternator question