1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

need info on replacing axle seals on a 1995 neon

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on replacing axle seals on a 1995 neon

Hey guys, I'm usually over in the 3rd gen ram forum but my girlfriend recently bought a 1995 neon with 65k miles for her first car. It a good little car and is pretty peppy for a 4 cylinder, there's just a few thing's I wanna take care of for her so it lasts. The first priority is the axle seals, the car leaks out about a quart of trans fluid every week. I've been filling it with atf+4 and I put in some of the lucas oil trans fix to see if that would help out. I'll be home in a week and I plan on replacing the seals for her, can anybody give me a how to on this or somewhere to start? I know my way around cars pretty well, just wanna know what I'm getting myself into before I tear into her car. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Welcome to the neon section! There may be a different way to do this, I do it the same way on every car. I pop the lower ball joint out, loosen the axle nut, and push and turn the hub assembly until the axle is able to slide out the backside of the hub. Sometimes you will need to unbolt the brakes line or abs wire from the hub or strut. I then use a pry bar to pop the axle out of the trans side. I usually use a pick or screw driver to pop the seal out. Make sure when you tap the new seal in your dont loose the spring in it. I would stay away from transmission stop leaks, they do more harm then good. Wouldn't hurt to do a service on the trans also. Something else to note on dodges, when there is no shift kit installed you should check the tranny fluid level in neutral.

Last edited by I_Ride_Neon; 02-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

Thanks, hopefully the nuts and bolts aren't too seized on there. I'm gonna try to take care of it this next weekend. Ill be sure the check it in neutral next time. Just out of curiosity whats so bad about the trans stop leaks?

Quick Reply: need info on replacing axle seals on a 1995 neon