1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

need a new alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
epulosity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a new alternator

I need to find an alternator that will crank out about 150 amps to accomodate my mods and my audio system. My lights dim pretty bad if I turn up the volume a little more than half way (which is probably what I should keep my limit at since its incredibly loud at that point anyway). I've look around for neon alternators and most say 83 amps which i figure is what the stock one is rated at. Can anyone suggest where to purchase one at?

Old 09-23-2005, 03:00 AM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need a new alternator

Any decent alternator rebuilder should be able to hook you up for a good price. As for aftermarket high output units I'm not really sure what's out there. My fiancee is a rebuilder so I haven't looked around. Don't know where you are but we should talk if you're nearby. Did a neon alt for a guy a while back (180a I think), don't remember how much though. I'm still running the stocker but we'll bump it up a bit when it come times for a rebuild.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:14 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need a new alternator

You don't need a bigger alternator unless you plan on driving around with it that loud all or most of the time. The alternator that you have now will keep the battery charged just fine. What you need is a capacitor or 2, and an additional battery. That will solve all your problems and the system will hit much better.

Quick Reply: need a new alternator