1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

can i turbo or supercharge my 1 gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM
west.william45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i turbo or supercharge my 1 gen

i got a 1 gen neon the things my baby shes only got 54k on her and i wanna try to make it faster and look nicer i was wondering if i could turbo or supercharge it or would that screw up anything

Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can. 7-10 lbs of boost is safe for a daily driver stock engine with a small turbo like a TE04H or Garret turbos from the old Chrysler 2.2 & 2.5 K cars. I personally ran 17 psi with the TE04H Mitsu turbo with zero issues except I blew my old valve seals out and overspooled at 17psi & blew the turbo bearing. I recommend changing your valve seals as boost will expose weak valve seals and in my experience the intake valve seals like to blow out causing various engine blow by like symptoms that will make you think your engine is screwed but its just a blown out valve seal thats leaking boost into the engine $20 fix.

The stock 2.5 chrysler mitsu turbo's wastegate is set for 7psi stock...but you'll find that the Neon sohc & dohc heads flow waaaaay more than those 2.2 & 2.5's ever wished they could so if you slap one of these on you'll sit at 7-10 psi instantly from the first tap of the gas until 3500rpm when all hell breaks loose and it spikes to 17+ psi of boost taking advantage of those 16 valves.

For best results you'll need at least a 155lph fuel pump (the commonly recommended 255 puts out more than even 10-15psi applications need) & rising rate fuel pressure regulator,Missing Link Map/IAT sensor check valve. I got by with the stock fuel pump, no rising rate regulator and one range colder than stock plugs with 10oz of acetone per tank and it'd run mid 13s!. I was a little lean at times but I wasn't racing all of the time and only wanted a fast daily driver which it did perfectly. The Neon's stock fuel pump is the same output pump used in the Dodge Ram V8's, so even boosted your 4 banger is not going to eat more gas than a 360..those huge lph pumps are overrated for a 4 banger turbo motor running reasonable levels of boost.

Proud to say that 5 years after being boosted my engine has a grand total of 261,000 miles on it and it was boosted from 122,000-138,000 miles when the turbo bearing blew and I needed money for my GF and sold all the turbo crap. My motor still runs great and has never been rebuilt, just had the basics, tune up, timing belt & water pump change every 90k and valve seal change.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 05-08-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:45 PM
west.william45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man that helped out big time

Quick Reply: can i turbo or supercharge my 1 gen