1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98' neon DOHC, several problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 PM
JasonBartlett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98' neon DOHC, several problems...

i dont know much of anything about cars but im starting to have a few problems. ill try to explain as detailed as i can. last year i noticed when i turn the steering wheel there is a very obvious clicking sound that will happen at all times. the guys at the napa store i worked at all independently agreed it was the strut mounts so i replaced those but it did no good. i really havent had the time or money since to get it properly looked at. steering still seems as responsive as before, just with the added clicking sound.

next problem, just recently while cruising around town at lower speeds (30 mph or less) if i take my foot off of the accelerator, the car will stay at whatever speed its at without slowing down and will continue until i brake or speed up manually. it wont brake or speed up by itself. later i noticed that while cruising at 30mph before coming up to a turn i take to get home, with my foot off of any pedal, the car will suddenly get bogged down and speed will drop very suddenly as if im braking hard and will continue until i accelerate manually again. as long as im controlling the braking and accelerating myself, i havent had any issues at all. its only when im coasting with no manual input. also my car doesnt have regular cruise control at all.

i know thats alot of text but i described symptoms as best i could. im working 15 hour days usually so i dont have time right now to take it anywhere so any ideas or comments would be appreciated so i might have an idea when i can take it into a shop. thanks

Quick Reply: 98' neon DOHC, several problems...