1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:19 AM
onlnagent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hello I recently purchaced a 95 ACR and the car was running very rough. After the car I found a sparkplug wire loose and this seemed to fix the problem however the car was smoking very badly and later found one of the cyclinders was low on compression. I have since had the head resurfaced and replaced the Headgasket. The compression rose from 160 to about 200-210 on all cylinders. The car is trhowing the following codes. P0443, P0108, and P0113. The some of the engine has been modified and I was told the cams are Crane and has a turbo grind on them. The intake manafold is not stock but has a box style plenium. The Timming has been reset and I know it is set to to stock settings. The car however will not start. I have recently taken the msd coil off and replaced it with a OEM coil and had to splice the new wiring harness in.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: Help

well Maybe you need a performance ECU??? Is it running fine??? Intake air temp sensor voltage too high....Evap purge solenoid shorted...map sensor voltage too high or too low....might just need to upgrade with all the stuff you have done could just be unacceptable maybe get a 3 bar map sensor and such Im not too sure but the person to ask would be RADARLOVE

Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Help

Why did you have to splice in a harness?

P0443 - EVAP solenoid circuit
P0108 - MAP voltage too high
P0113 - IAT voltage too high

I find it very odd that you'd get a code for the EVAP solenoid. I didn't get one with the stock PCM (also a '95) with it completely removed...

The MAP and IAT are seperate sensors on the '95 - at least for the SOHC... don't remember if the DOHC had a combined sensor right off the bat. Both should be receiving a 5v signal from the PCM (single wire if it's a combined sensor). Other sensors get the same 5v signal and appear to be working fine (no codes anyways), so you might want to grab a multimeter and check the wiring for those 2 sensors up to wherever they splice off another wire. Pretty sure it's a violet wire with a white stripe. You should be able to do this with the key in the "On" position. With return voltage too high on those, it will seriously throw off the fuel and timing maps. Might even run the default "limp home" settings, but should start...

The EVAP solenoid is controlled directly from the PCM. So either it isn't getting the proper signal, or the solenoid itself is bad. The PCM won't start operating the solenoid for a while after a cold start and has a time delay where it doesn't operate after a warm start. So there's really no way of checking that until the engine is running again. Might want to pull the fuel pump fuse for a minute to reset the PCM to clear the code for now. If the solenoid is stuck open (unlikely) then you might have an open line from your intake manifold to the fuel tank... would act like a vacuum leak.

I'm assuming DOHC (2-door)? THe "turbo" grind from Crane should be the 0014. Not really a great set of cams for a naturally aspirated engine, but certainly better than stock. The box-style manifold is probably one of the best bolt-on's for the DOHC. Neither of those should have any influence on your current problems.

So, start with a PCM reset. Check voltage to the MAP and get that fixed, then figure out what's up with the EVAP solenoid.

Best of luck!