1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1996 Dodge neon SOHC automatic trans feel like slipping.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:15 AM
phillykorean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge neon SOHC automatic trans feel like slipping.

Hey guys it's been a while since I have posted the Neon was doing fine until today.

I noticed that the neon was being less responsive during shifts.

I was at a red light and when it turned green the car is still in "Drive" gear, I pressed the gas pedal and immediatly I noticed that it over- revved the engine before the car started moving in gear. I thought it was slipping a gear which got me nervous.

But on the entire drive home every red light or stop sign the car would do the same thing. The engine felt like it was over-revving before the car even started to move, so I did an experiment, at the next available stop sign, I slowed down and stopped with the car still in "drive" and then before I started to go I shifted it down to the "1" gear and pressed down on the gas, then shifted up to gear "2" and then finally "drive" and the car responded better, I did this for about 3 or 4 more stop signs and red light and I noticed the engine gauge going to overheat indicator.

This doesn't even tell you how wonky the transmission was. I was trying to parallel park when I got home, and I shifted to reverse to back up but the car lurched foward and that really scared me because it was in "reverse" on the transmission but it lurched foward, twice so i said **** it and shifted it into "drive" mode and parked the car in front and once I got in to the parking spot I have to straighten the car so I shifted back to "reverse" and the car over-revved but then the reverse gear worked afterwards.

Not sure what is going on, the transmission shifted fine earlier today in the morning but NOW the transmission is acting like ****.

I hope it is NOT a dead transmission.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:03 AM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read, typical transmission life in these cars is about 85000 miles, especially if the fluid isnt changed every 30000 miles. Mine does the same thing when cold, they say that changing the fluid may help as well as adding Lucas transmission stop leak/conditioner.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge neon SOHC automatic trans feel like slipping.