1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Bad Wheel Bearing Hub - Rear Driver Side?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Th3w01f
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Wheel Bearing Hub - Rear Driver Side?

I can grab my tire, and pull on it in and out while the car is sitting on the ground, what could be causing this? When I do it makes a slight clank noise, the other 3 are fine, just this tire, I will check the lug nuts just to be sure.

This is sorta what it is doing (Not my car BTW!)

Last edited by Th3w01f; 03-16-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:55 AM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several potential things to permit the tire/wheel assembly to move in/out. It also depends on the "plane" of the movement - does it move when you pull/push the top of the tire in a camber change motion? does it move when you "twisting" the tire in a toe in/toe out motion? Need to provide a bit more description in tthe type of motion, but:

a. Loose lugs could be an issue.
b. A failing bearing could be an issue
c. Loose strut nuckle to strut rod attacjment bolts could be a big issue. Where the struts changed?
d. Loose (or broken) lateral link toe control assembly
e. ?

We the car in a safe position and firmly blocked to prevent rolling, if you have a friend you don't care about, have them rock your wheel in out while you are laying on the ground parrallel to the rear bumper looking at the suspension hardware that locates the drivers side rear wheel. Watch the bootom of the strut to nuckle joint for motion or both the lateral links for motion both at the nuckel and the frame under the middle of the car, watch the disc or drum to nuckle for motion and the wheel to brake dic/drum for motion. One of these should get you to the source.

Don't drive it anymore more till you fix the issue but have you been driving the car and what were the oddities when you did?

Quick Reply: Bad Wheel Bearing Hub - Rear Driver Side?