1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Make the speedometer move slower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 346 Likes on 308 Posts

You willingly let someone who has the ability to change your rates because of the way you drive monitor your driving habits?? Screw that. You can now begin to see how it will one way or another work against you. Insurance is out to make money. End of story. No matter what they tell you. I thought I had seen everything. SMH.

To the OP: yank that thing out of your car and tell your insurance to shove it up their ****. Seriously.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately they can't raise your rates due to driving habits. The worse thing that's gonna happen is you''ll lose your discount for the next policy. I know a few people with them in their vehicles and even with dings for speeds in excess of 80 mph and multiple braking incidents their rates don't go up, just less of a percentage off their next policy. Everyone starts with a 10% discount and it changes every 6 months from there. By putting one in my truck (that now moves about 2k mi/yr) I'm looking at a 35% discount on my next renewal. Sure beats paying full price for a truck that rarely gets driven. Another plus is it keeps me more alert to my own driving habits. Used to drive >80mph all the time for no reason at all. now I catch myself keeping a more consistent 75mph on the highway.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 346 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't need any more "big brothers" watching me. We got enough "nanny state" crap going on now. lol. Whatever works for you though.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:53 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

I used it last year and saved 10%. That only equates to about $70 a year.

Driving in the ice and snow was the real killer to my score.
I keep more than adequate distance... Spinning or locked up tires killed it.

There is no big brother issue to such a device. You can log in and get speed data from your trips, miles driven. It's really cool actually. My car hadn't even been inspected which is mandatory in my state. My CEL was on... They didn't report me or drop my coverage.

I drive with a dash cam so I have a third party witness. I'm not speeding... Not more than the five mph that everyone else does and cops don't care if you're doing.
I'm driving on public roads... I'm nit a drug mule or anything. Don't care if the government knows what time I take my kid the school or what days I buy milk.

Yes, the device plugs into your OBDII port. So, if you were to install a resistor it would have to be on the wire going from the speed sensor to the PCM.
Would a resistor be the rout to go or a some other way of slowing down the electrical signal?
No I have never even driven the car above 75mph.

Last year when I get the device I hit a patch of ice while accelerating to 55. I got six penalties... Becase my speedometer went from 45 to 78 mph and than back to 40 when my tire hit asphalt. When I called and asked the guy mutter "it shows you were going 75... Whichbis 23 mph over your state speed limit."

Again, I'm asking knowledgeable guys if there is a way to slow the speedometer reading down by 10% or so. To give it a lag so it is not as jumpy in events such as mentioned. I doubt it would do much in the even of truely hard braking. 7 mph decrease in a second isnot hard braking.

Before I installed the device last year I spent weeks reading. Big brother theorists featured prominatly... Yall came off like crackpots. You really want to stick it to the man? Think of a way to stick it to the insurance companies? Turn their own tools against them.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:42 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe just get better tires?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:35 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

Originally Posted by das2123
Maybe just get better tires?
Indeed. I use studded snow tires. Where I live it is legal to use studded snow tires from October 16th to April 31'st. It's essentially winter here already.

You have to have some respect for the weather, road conditions and the lackluster road maintenance in some municipalities. Especially the rural areas...

I have to work even in the crappiest of weather. Son has to go to school or a babysitter. Living less than a hundred miles from Canada and the lake effect snow/ice. Indeed you have to winterize your vehicle in order to commute.

I have snow chains too and have to use them. Last year I had to use them a dozen times. I live in a rural, hilly area. I'm on call 24/7. If a customer calls because their furnace or boiler stops working I have to be there. Rain, snow or sun.

Yeah, tires matter... yeah it's worth the investment... Yeah, I Just finished putting studded snow tires on my Neon and Taurus. Tires still slip and still cause the speedometer to jump.

I drive like an old lady... especially in the winter. If you'd like I can post videos I took on my dashcam displaying 4+ inches of ice on the roads from last year. Salt and plowing does't do jack when the daytime temperatures do not rise above -10f

Last edited by ClaytonH; 10-26-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

Have noticed for a while now... and this could effect readings. When I come to a stop the speed will read 8 MPH and just drop to 0 MPH after a stop. There is no gradual decline... Today was was day one of my service with the device and even with no hard braking I managed 12 hard brakes in 16 miles of driving.

I'm going to the auto parts store after work and picking up a new vehicle speed sensor to see if it's my cluster or the VSS. The car is 20 years old so it may be having trouble reading the slower signal. Either worn or covered in crud. The cluster is from an 2008 which I replaced three years ago.

Quick Reply: Make the speedometer move slower?