1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Question About Screamin' Demon Coil Pack/Plugs/Wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:44 AM
Detroit85Neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Screamin' Demon Coil Pack/Plugs/Wires

Hey! I thought someone might be able to help me with a question I've got. A friend gave me a Screamin' Demon coil pack for a 95 Neon SOHC (What I have). Is it a good coil pack or no? I have Autolite wires and Champion plugs. Can I use those? I read I might need better wires and would have to have a larger gap. Thanks if anyone can help!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:54 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: Question About Screamin' Demon Coil Pack/Plugs/Wires

should be fine

Old 11-15-2005, 02:57 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

go with a larger gap and better wiring, then you should be fine

Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 AM
Detroit85Neon

You've used this coil before?

Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

friend has a coil simmilar for a 2000 neon, seems to work ok. In my humble opion it should be alright. Get a second opion though. I never go off the word of one guy. I trust my judgement, but go ahead and replace the wires and do get the larger gap. That is what nick did I believe.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:30 AM
Detroit85Neon

Ok..Cool..Thanks

Old 11-15-2005, 03:52 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Some basic electrical stuff here...

First - the coilpack does not create energy, it's a tranformer, plain and simple. The Screamin' Demon unit is rated for 40,000 volts. That does not mean it always puts out 40k volts. This is like saying an intercooler rated for 600 HP will make your little T3 put out 600 HP simply by bolting it in...

Second - spark happens when there is sufficient voltage to overcome the air gap on the plug. Gapping the plug more means that a higher voltage is required to make a spark. More voltage to overcome that gap does not mean the same thing as stronger, hotter, better, or more efficient spark. It just means you made the coilpack work harder to force a spark to occur. This unit recommends overgapping the plugs by a huge amount (0.065" if I recall). Well duh, the end result is you require more voltage from the coilpack. Problem is, if you are using that much voltage runnning around town, where is the extra voltage going to come from when you really need it? Gapping that much over means the surfaces of the two contacts are no longer parallel, meaning a less efficient spark anyways.

On weaker or stock ignitions, opening up the gap CAN increase the spark kernel size, thereby creating a more efficient burn. The problem lies in that any added gap creates more strain on the other ignition parts. Coils may not have enough stored energy to fire, or in the least case, not enough energy to cross the gap, creating a miss-fire. Plug wires will break down due to the added resistance as the spark tries to reach ground. All of this is because the greater the gap and the higher the voltage requirement to jump the gap. And don't forget dwell time... You can only keep that much voltage applied for so long at higher rpm's.

You will need some serious additional pressure in the combustion chamber (really well built turbo) to make full use of that coilpack with a stock gap. Len's 600+ HP car is using the stock coilpack. Are you seriously thinking of beating that? Gapping your spark plugs more means you are that much closer to the limitations of the coilpack, stock or otherwise. This unit is another one of those marketing schemes aimed at people who simply don't know any better. I put it on the same list as the ebay $20 200 HP chips. Pathetic.

Quick Reply: Question About Screamin' Demon Coil Pack/Plugs/Wires