1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Engine randomly shutting down - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Z Thrizzle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine randomly shutting down - Help!!

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a Z3 but my brother has a 97 Neon. I get a lot of help from members of a BMW forum that I am part of and am hoping to get the same for my brother's Neon.

A few weeks ago after he drove the car for about 15 min the car shut down on the highway. He described it as the engine loosing power then shutting down. He dropped it off at a local shop and they mentioned that it was a loose wire to the engine...I think spark plug or something. They fixed it but did not give my brother any detail on exactly what was fixed. The car worked for a while then did it again. To try to get a better understanding I tried turning on the car this morning. It started for about 3 seconds then turned off. I tried turning it on again but the engine wouldn't turn over.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this?
What might the problem be?
Could it be easily fixed?

Hope you guys can help and maybe save my brother from going to the local Stealer...*cough, cough* I mean dealer for help

Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: Engine randomly shutting down - Help!!

The wire to the COILPACK??? Not the plug wires.....

Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Z Thrizzle

Thanks...I'll check it out.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:36 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Did the Check Engine Light come on at all? There's a how-to here I'm sure on how to pull the codes, they might be stored in the PCM even if the light isn't lit right now... That could be a big help...

The only things I know of that will shut an engine down (electronically), are complete loss of signal to/from the coilpack, failed coilpack, complete loss of signal to/from the injectors, fuel pump/fuse/relay failure, ASD relay failure, or complete loss of crank signal.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Engine randomly shutting down - Help!!