1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Rattling Sound Coming From Driver's Side Front Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 PM
SheaCulb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Sound Coming From Driver's Side Front Wheel

I have a 1999 Neon Coupe Sport with the DOHC. I bought the car about 2 years ago and it has about 164,000 miles on it. It's developed a rattling sound around the front, driver's side wheel. I can hear it from inside the car with windows up, A/C on, and radio on (not blasting). It seem to only occur at lower speeds, like 50 and below, and when the road is rough. When driving at freeway speeds, can't hear it at all, and if the road is smooth, it doesn't do it. It also goes away completely when I hit the brake, even if it's just very lightly.

I had the tires replaced about 6 months ago, and they told me my struts needed to be changed (don't know if they just wanted work from me or if that was true). Car doesn't bounce excessively and suspension seems to work well otherwise. I replaced the sway bar bushing and links about 5 weeks ago and it stopped for a couple weeks and is now back.

It's definitely a rattle from the driver's side front wheel. I've read that the brake pads could be loose. But wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has a solution or if anyone can help me out! If you have any questions, ask away! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SheaCulb; 05-05-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:42 PM
SheaCulb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:
I took my Driver's side front wheel off yesterday to take a look at everything. The caliper seems to be loose and knocking against the bracket - which I believe to be the source of the noise. So I'm either going to buy new calipers or a rebuild kit and replace the o-rings and whatnot. Keep you all posted.