1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Ok got one for ya (crank pulley alignment)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:47 PM
NeonStang98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok got one for ya (crank pulley alignment)

First off hi, im new to the forums. Recently we purchased a 98 dodge neon 2.0 and have already come across a problem. Seems that the p/s and air conditioner belt keep flying off the car and it turns out that both of those pulleys are not lined up with the crank. After taking a further look at it, it seems that the alternator is somewhat not lined up either and caused the belt already on to fray a bit. So taking a look back seems that the crank pulley is out (towards that fender) too far. Im not sure if it was worked on or what but thats besides the point. What I want to know is, can i push the crank pulley in any further so that everything will be lined up?? And will me taking off the pulley mess with the timing at all? Thanks to all for you help and consideration!!

Cliff Notes: Can i push the crank pulley in further so that all the pulleys will be lined up without messing anything up?? Thanks!
-Matt

Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Ok got one for ya (crank pulley alignment)

It should all be lined up thats a fact. What is out of line is up to you. There was another post here within the last few day of someone else having a similar problem, they changed the timing belt and water pump and could not get the crank pulley back on for some reason. It does have to be lined up correctly, which I am assuming it is now, if you do not move anything you should be fine. Take it off throw it in the oven on 350 for about 20 minutes, use oven mitts and put it back on and bang it on good, let it cool and put the belt on.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 PM
NeonStang98

Hey casper. First off thank you soo much for the reply! Well im not sure what was done to it but yeah i know that everything should be aligned...lol. Anyway how the heck do i losen the alternator so that i can get that belt off and be able to take the crank pulley off?? Im just gonna try to take the crank pulley off and put it back in just like you said ( except i might do some voodoo ritual before putting back on..lol or maybe the oven trick ) But now im stuck on the darn alternator pulley bracket and cant find how to get some slack in that belt. Thanks again!!

Old 12-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Ramrat
Professional

this is for casper, in all my years under the hood i've never heard or thought of the oven trick.....I love it, it's the unique thinking like that that makes this one of the best forums i've been on!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

Also look at a the alternator bracket. We have seen a lot of them bent over the years.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:19 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

There's an adjusting bolt for the alternator that points back towards the firewall. There's also a pivot bolt you have to loosen, and a tensioning bolt as well (same location as the adjusting bolt).

Oven trick has been around since before this forum... Back when other forums were still mailing lists.

I wouldn't bang on the end of the crank snout too hard, replacing bearings is harder than replacing the pulley... Rubber mallet at most, and it really shouldn't even require that. Try using a thin coating of antiseize.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Ok got one for ya (crank pulley alignment)