1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:26 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions

Ive been hearing and I wanted to ask an expert about thins that removing you emissions controls will give you a little bit more power. If so how would one go about doing this.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Ramrat
Professional
Default RE: Emissions

well i wouldn't waste my time as those systems are there not only controling your emitions but in doing so make the whole show run more efficientley. plus you need to look into your local emition laws, here in new york all 96 and up MUST have a working emition control to pass inspection and even the older ones need a cat down to a certain year( though it need not be functional(ie: emptied out))

Old 02-17-2006, 12:34 AM
casper
Legend

You will gain a few HP, but not anything earth shaking. If there is nothing wrong with yours, I would just leave it alone if its gonna be a street driven car. Most state have inspections that will pick right up on a missing emmisions system, not to mention, your check engine light will be lit unless you have a performance PCM.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:45 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

What do you mean by "emissions control equipment"?

If you go removing the cat and EGR (the only real emissions control equipment on the 1st gens) on an otherwise stock Neon, you will lose power. On all but the 95's, the downstream sensor is used for fuel trim calculations. In addition to having a CEL for a failed cat, your car will run richer than it already does, which will hurt power. Even if you have a '95 or use a sim plug on the d/s sensor for the others, removing the cat doesn't gain you anything, it's less than a 5% restriction in the system. Your muffler is easily 20 times more restrictive, and isn't an emissions control item.

Removing and/or blocking off the EGR setup won't gain anything but a cleaner intake manifold and intake ports, which is worth it in my book. If you do a lot of freeway driving, you might see mileage drop a point of two. Might...

There are better ways to get power.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Emissions