1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

o-60

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:23 PM
j0ker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o-60

i went to the drag strip and ran a 9.48 not to bad but my prob is in the start my tires wont catch traction for nothing it could be my driving i dont know so i decided to get a LSD with some wider tires and i dont feal like forking out 520$ for one does anybody know if i could get on from a junk yard or anywhere i can get one cheaper?

Old 02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: o-60

you could get a phantom grip differential. What it does is lock up your differential like a true differential would, but you lose your traction sensing and it won't try to compensate for wheel slippage. Actually that's not even true -- your car will TRY to correct for wheel slippage but it won't be able to because the differential is moving as one solid piece. It's cheaper than a true LSD.

Also, if you haven't already, upgrade your motor mounts to a stiffer compound or solid insert. This will make the car a bit noisier on the inside, but will reduce or eliminate wheel hop.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:22 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Street tires? Forget wider - think "stickier" and "thicker, more flexible sidewall". Wider tires at the same pressure don't have a "bigger" footprint. They have a wider print, which is also shorter front-to-back. It's a mathematical fact and not up for discussion... Less front-to-back rubber is going to mean less straigt-line traction, assuming you keep the same tire pressure. A taller, more flexible sidewall is going to allow you to run lower pressure safely, which does mean a larger footprint.

What wheels and tires are you using on there right now? What pressures are you running, and what are the results with the different pressures? What rpm are you launching at? And could you post the whole timeslip(s)?

Burning rubber without some sort of limited slip is just asking for a rebuilt tranny. The differential pin on the Neon is notoriously weak. Keep abusing it and it will fail. Which direction it launches is anyone's guess, but 99% of them make it through the gearbox, leaving a hole and a whole lot of oil. A few have made it into the people compartment... The PG is good for what it is, but it will eventually fail as well. $500-600 is a fantastic price for a true LSD (I'm assuming you're talking about the OBX?). It's warranteed the same as the Quaiffe, and is worth every penny including professional install if it holds up as well as a Quaiffe.

Best of luck!

Old 02-20-2006, 02:20 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 0-60 MPH time on your car stock should be 7.5 sec. and the 1/4 mile should be over in 15.9 sec. What do you have done to your R/T? The crap modular clutch they used in the Neons are weak and slip with even mild modifications, it doesn't take much more than stock power to overwhelm the modular clutch. The launch can make or break your run, so you need to practice as much as possible at the track. Your times will vary sometimes greatly from track to track, so find a good track. I've seen a 1 and a half second difference between tracks so try different tracks, you'd be amazed at the the difference.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:00 PM
j0ker

the only thing that i have done to my neon is AEM intake, highflow catbck, exhaust, and mopar PCM. i just started my job at dodge changing oil im gonna see if they can get me one at a discounted rate. it is the OBX that im talking about. im not ashamed to admit my take offs arnt the best i might try the whole engine mount idea cause i do get some really bad wheel hop. it is a 99 neon r/t. thanks for the info anymore advice is much appreciated

Quick Reply: o-60