1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

help please neon idle is surging

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:53 PM
booboo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please neon idle is surging

so heres the problem hopfully someone can help and or point me in the right direction once i crank my car it starts and runs but nowhere near smoothly its "surging" for lack of better words it acts as if its idleing and then im tachin it up to say a 1000 from 500 (figurative numbers) and then fallin down and doin it all over again also theres a pop or slight bang pow soujnd that keps occuring to but not at any regular intervals could it possibly be a bad cam sensor ? how would it act if the cam sensor went bad on the vehicle timing rigtht head gasket's fine only trouble codes im gettin are 12 and 55 was gettin a 43 but changed the plugs and its now gone any and all help/input would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-14-2006, 12:06 AM
pedeldown
Default RE: help please neon acting a fool

sounds like it could be a misfire put a couple bottles of injector cleaner in there and check the plugs to see if they are corroded. if thats not it then im no help, goodluck.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:42 AM
booboo

i was thinkin it could be bad gas as it was down for about 6 months or so but i've put fuel stablizer in it a bottle of alcohol(91%) not 70% and some injector cleaner which did help ALOT seem to drop the surge intensity and frequency i've shook the assend like a **** to help mix it in got new plugs properly gappedjust checked the vaccum it seems a lil low but im not sure where it should be
just checked compression has plenty seems fine but what is the desired lbs?
isthere any difference in cam gears from year to year on the SOHC?
it has less than 5 inchs of vaccum on the passenger side of the brake booster it seems as if the cams are 180 dewgrees out but i dont know and dont think that the 4 clyinder would run i f it was out that bad

Old 03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
booboo

any help

Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 AM
pedeldown

burn up all the gas then fill it with 91 or 93 gas and a bottle of octane booster and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner that should clear it up.

Quick Reply: help please neon idle is surging