1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

what to do next

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
kingof97neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do next

i have a 97 sohc and i blow the motor and i bougth a use one from a friend and it came out of a atx and i have a cai and that is it what should the next thing to do buy a cam header or what i am not sure i drive it every day so aany help would be great thank

Old 03-25-2006, 01:24 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: what to do next

Depends on to me 4 things, Time, Money, How serious do I want this to be, and can your car handle the mods you will put on it. going from there starting with the basic mods would be a good start CAI,Exhaust, header, a pulley, maybe a high flow cat,things like that even a bigger throttle body the atx has a 52mm and the mtx has a 48mm 52mm isnt the limit though you could even go 60mm after the basics depending on those 4 things, you could get a little more serious, Cam gears, cam shafts a better inake manifold( Indy or the Modernperformance process) then from there you could look into a port and polish job for your head and better internals, then from there maybe a turbo with bigger injectors( or if that isnt your style try NOS) , or you could just go for a motor swap like an SRT-4 and just forget about the other stuff then just add on to the SRT-4 and mod that, There are other mods that count to handleing, rims and tires, shocks, springs, motor mounts even a performance computer( for the manuals only though) all that good stuff adds into performance too Like I said, It all depends on ( in my opinion) time.money,how far you want to take it, and can your car handle it Hope some of that was helpful, have fun and good luck

Old 03-27-2006, 03:40 PM
casper
Legend

Stroke the motor, get a cam, turbo, NOS, port and polish the head. That should get you where you want.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:26 PM
kingof97neon

ok what would be the biggest gain for a little bit of money i am going turbo it when i get the money i have a atx trott body so what to do i what to be able to notice the power inprove meant

Old 03-28-2006, 01:09 AM
98Neon4Door
Professional

well a cai header computer are all going to be replaced by a turbo kit (not the computer but it will advance the ignition too much for a turbo) so in my mind all those arnt worth it seeing as how your going to turbo it later on. I would just get a highflow air filter for the stock intake, and then maybe a cam (crane 12 works good for a turbo) motor mounts, bobble strut (stiffer or a solid one) some good tires/wheels lighter is better. if you arnt picky about what your interior looks like you could try takeing stuff out (rear seat, spare tire, anything that you dont need) I did this and didnt notice a lot in the acceleration but it did help with handleing. A better ignition/wires will help now and later on when you go with a turbo. If the 52mm tb isnt big enough you could always have it bored out or just buy a 55 or 60mm (bolth will help with a turbo) and you could rebuild the whole motor so that way you can be sure it isnt going to crap out on you on the highway somewhere.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: kingof97neon

ok what would be the biggest gain for a little bit of money i am going turbo it when i get the money i have a atx trott body so what to do i what to be able to notice the power inprove meant
It all depends, what do you want out of the car right now? Do you want low end, top end, nice sounding exhuast, cool intake, bling? How much do you have to spend? There are a lot of things you could do, its all what you want to do.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Forget the little things. It just makes it that much longer until you can afford the turbo. All the bolt-ons available aren't going to get your SOHC past the 175 HP mark or so (crank, not wheels). The turbo will put you in the 215+ HP range, more than you'll ever get naturally aspirated. If you're serious about the turbo, then concentrate on that. Keep in mind that you're going to need to upgrade your clutch. You're going to want stronger axles. You'd be smart to install a limited slip. The stock SOHC exhaust system is much better with a good (straight through design, doesn't have to be a shiny brand name) muffler.

Best of luck!

Old 03-28-2006, 05:49 PM
kingof97neon

i am not realy bigg on the bling bling part i realy dont care i am all about power will i have about 500.00 dollars right know i have stock wheels and tires every thing is stock but i have a true cai and there is a nother neon in town and he can beat me but his is a dohc and its all stock but he has a body kit and all that other crap and i am a red light to red light racer and i am going to get my muffer put on and its going to have 4inch pipe from the catback i figered that would give me some the turbo will be down the road from know

Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

theres a guy in my town like that too, has the kit and body paint and all that good crap but nothing under the hood. ive seen him in action a couple times and he just got abused, all show and no go is pointless, all that money on the kit and paint could have went to performance, but some people just want the furious look with out the fast go figure, 500 dollars your getting up there good luck

Old 03-30-2006, 12:39 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Even the biggest turbo setup on a neon (600+ HP last I heard) doesn't need more than a 3" exhaust setup. You're about a 5th of the way to a good turbo kit.