1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

topped out

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:23 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: topped out

The speed limiter on the R/T's was 132 or 135 mph, depending on who you talk to. I don't see why that would be debateable...

A "stage 1" kit from Hahn or Chill Factory is good for at least 200 HP, and probably closer to 225 HP on a DOHC with decent tuning, even without the reliability factor of the intercooler. On a lighter 1st gen, I don't see beating a stock SRT-4 as unreasonable. There are plenty of boosted 1st gens on stock internals running low 12's, which is more than can be said for a stock SRT-4. Chris Barnett even managed an 11.9 second run at sea level with his 1st gen with an older Hahn system (side mount intercooler). And that's on a track that provides timeslips. On the street, any 2 cars that can run a real track within a second or two of each other - you'll never know which is the quicker car.

Casper, keep your stupid "facts" to yourself. Please. Since I'm not allowed to cross-post to other forums, I can't direct people to the timeslip database showing the dozens of bolt-on turbo DOHC's running 12's, most with timeslips to back it up. The same site also has a very informative FAQ which talks about the speed limiters on various models. Just because no one on this site has a bolt-on DOHC running 12's doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

redr/t - to get the car's top speed faster, you'll need an aftermarket PCM, or you'll need to trick the PCM into think you are going half as fast as you really are by modifying the input signal from the speed sensor. Top speed really means nothing, you realize. It's a magazine number, meant to impress the enuducated and easily impressed. The same people that buy a car based on top speed capability also tend to upgrade to chrome wheels, because shiny obviously means muscle...

Old 04-06-2006, 11:36 PM
redr/t
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

srt 4 shut down at 148 so yea

Old 04-07-2006, 12:08 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

top speed may not mean much...but it is nice to know for just having fun and saying you did it, or messing with people on the interstate, it is just nice to know for the hell of it

Quick Reply: topped out