1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

putting a neon tranny in a eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:25 PM
bulldog0404
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting a neon tranny in a eclipse

hi i was recommended to visit this site for some advice. right now i have a 95 neon that i drive on a regular basis. its got a few upgrades buts its no racer. my first plan was to get this to become a mustang killer but that idea was lost when i saw a 97 eclipse for sale in my town. so i bought it for a great deal it seemed at first but now i'm having problems. the transmission needs to be replaced and i was wondering if a 5 speed transmission from a neon could fit a eclipse. the eclipse is a rs non turbo 5 speed, and the eclipses engine and the neons are practically the same.
and i'm hoping to not get crap for asking questions about an eclipse on a dodge site, i figured it'd be ok since dodge owns mitsubishi right?

Old 04-05-2006, 07:44 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: putting a neon tranny in a eclipse

I dont belive Chyrsler owns Mitsu, if they do its the first ive heard of it. Secondly I do belive reading on here that someone has done the tranny swap from Neon to Eclipse, Eclipse to Neon, ect.. Im not for sure if the tranny will bolt right up but im pretty sure they just might.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:34 PM
casper
Legend

Its not gonna just bolt up. It will bolt to the motor just fine, but your gonna need custom alxes for it to work.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:58 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The Eclipses with the 420A use the same New Venture T-350 gearbox that's in the Neon. It's got the 3.94 final drive that was in the R/T's and ACR's. The bellhousing is different, so you'll have to use the one from an Eclipse. You can also use the tranny from the 4-cylinder versions of the Avenger and the Sebring from the same timeframe, as well as the non-turbo PT Cruiser and 2nd gen Neons (keep in mind, only the Neon R/T's and ACR's, and non-R/T DOHC Neons like the Expresso had the 3.94 final drive). Since it's the same gearbox with your Eclipse bellhousing, no custom axle work is going to be needed.

You can verify all this on any 2GNT Eclipse forum...

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: putting a neon tranny in a eclipse