1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Love My Neon

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:56 PM
tjoris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love My Neon

I just bought a 96 Neon and despite all the whinging I hear about them being crap, I really, really, REALLY love my neon! I've always fancied the 96 models, so this is the car of my dreams (outside of a lamborghini). Anyway, because the car has been sitting for several months, I need some work done on it. One of the most important piece of work is replacing the headlamps because at night I'm pretty soaring on sonar. I want to do the job myself 1.) because I'm a cheapskate and 2.) I want to get hands-on with my car. Recently, I just replaced the speakers and radio and I'm still soaring on a DIY high.

Can anyone assist my with this task of replacing the headlamps? I've bought the lamps, but when I popped the hood, I saw no indication of where to screw and un-screw. I checked the back of the headlamp assembly to see if I was able to unplug the lamps from the back. Nothing. And mercy if everything isn't a compacted jumble in there.

Again, can anyone help? Thanks!!

Old 04-26-2006, 06:17 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Love My Neon

replacing the bulb or the whole plasic housing???

Old 04-27-2006, 09:47 AM
tjoris

Actually, I'll be doing both. But, the immediate project for now is replacing the bulbs. The plastic housing will come later down the road. Also, there is a plastic lens-type cover attached (seemingly latched) to the headlamp assembly that isn't as transluscent as it should be. I'm thinking of removing it and buffing it or just replacing it with a new one. I'm thinking the latter.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:15 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Buffing the old lens only goes so far and only lasts so long. Not worth it.

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx..._1995-99.shtml

I really wish I could cross-post to other forums and show you the difference... There was a friend of mine that had the regular DEPO aftermarket lights with an HID kit. These, with the stock bulbs, were brighter...

These are the only projector style headlights I've seen that are worth anything. The APC's are complete crap. The "rallye" style you see on ebay are crap, just not as bad as APC. The DEPO brand (aka Crystal Clear, aka Krystal Klear, aka Euro Clear) non-projectors are fantastic replacements. But like I said, for a few dollars more, these are simply amazing.

I have a headlight replacement how-to on another site. Let me know if you need it (PM me) and I'll send the link out.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Love My Neon