1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Advice on these Service Engine Codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
redskinz56
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on these Service Engine Codes

Hello everyone! My car has had the service engine light for a few months now but running normally. One day I found out from a new friend that I could actually figure out the codes with out having to take it to the dealer or even mechanic by turning the ignition 3 times but without turning it on so I found out that the 2 problems with my car which are.....

P0118 (M) ECT Sensor Voltage Too High Engine coolant temperture sensor input above the
maximum acceptable voltage

&

P0420 (M) 1/1 Catalytic Converter Efficency Catalyst 1/1 efficency below required level

if anyone knows what I can do to get these fixed please let me know thanks!!!!!! i can be emailed at Redskinz56@aol.com or IMed at redskinz56 for AIM, Yahoo or MSN messangers.

I would greatly appreciate the help.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Advice on these Service Engine Codes

For the first one, you'll have to replace the coolant temp sensor. Brand new at a parts store or dealer will run you $75-100. you'll have to drain some coolant to replace it. you could opt to get one from a salvage yard for a lot cheaper. Should be reliable, the coolant temp sensor is not one that tends to fail very often. This is something you can do yourself with hand tools pretty easily, no need for a $60+/hr mechanic.

For the second one, you need to replace the catalytic converter. I really wouldn't bother with a stock replacement, too expensive. There are a half dozen companies that sell aftermarket replacements for a good price, $50-75. A muffler shop should be able to cut the old one out and weld the new one in for $50-75 under the table, or $150+ with a receipt... It's perfectly legal, your cat is definitely failing, and you probably have more than 50k miles on the car, right? If you live in a place (like California) that can get **** about emissions compliance, the receipt might be worth it. My replacement is a Dynomax unit, but it was already attached to the used header I bought... Check www.modernperformance.com and www.howellautomotive.com for good prices from know Neon-oriented dealers.

Best of luck!

Old 05-04-2006, 01:15 PM
redskinz56
Professional
Default RE: Advice on these Service Engine Codes

thanks for the help and yea im well oover 50,000 im about to reach 90,000 pretty soon.

Quick Reply: Advice on these Service Engine Codes