1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Crank, crank, crank update

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:44 AM
John Mc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank, crank, crank update

Hi all, I've determined my fuel pressure regulator is toast. After starting the engine and waiting about 1 minute my fuel pressure is down to zero. My fuel pump seems fine. Being that they are all in one unit on my '98 Neon 2.0L single cam with the plastic fuel tank, is there any danger in just leaving ti alone? Will this inoperative pressure regulator cause any damage to the fuel pump or any other systems? Being $260-$300 dollars for a new fuel pump, I'd rather not go there unless my pump is on it's way out or I'm hurting something. Thanks for all replies.

John McCarthy
Crystal Lake, IL

Old 06-02-2006, 08:29 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: Crank, crank, crank update

see if you can hook up a press guage 'tween the pump and regulator. reg's are pretty simple and i would put money on the pump before the reg. just 'cause your seeing a press drop at the rail don't mean the reg's bad, look at after-market parts for regs and such.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:36 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The Walbro 255 lph pump is only $110 or so at www.howllautomotive.com or even on ebay. Direct replacement, no other parts needed.

The fuel pressure regulator I've only seen at the dealership (www.dodgeparts.com for discounted prices). I haven't had to replace mine, and I've never looked that had at it, but looks to be a fairly simple job.

Frankly, I've heard of a lot more fuel pumps going than regulators though. I've had a spare pump in my trunk for the last 60k miles or so, jsut waiting for the stocker to finally give up...

Best of luck!

Old 06-05-2006, 02:06 PM
John Mc

Well, the regulator is costing me only around $50 so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for all the input.
John McCarthy
Crystal Lake, IL

Quick Reply: Crank, crank, crank update