1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

A/C and vacuum question-

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C and vacuum question-

Hey i was wondering if there was a way to find out where the A/C is leaking? and also how do you find a Vacuum leak? and how many vacuum hoses are there on the SOHC and where are they? or should i just buy myself another Haynes manuals?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Default RE: A/C and vacuum question-

manual would be a good idea....for the vacuum lines, there should be one from the valve body to the brake booster, one from cruize control to the valve body(if you have it), and one or two from the valve body to the purge seloniod(loated on the passenger motor mount)...i think there might be one or two more though....for the a/c, try getting the recharger kit with the u.v. leak detector...then you get a black light and shine it under the hood and along all the a/c hoses....the u.v. will glow under the black light

Old 06-02-2006, 07:47 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the book. most a/c coolant have a dye so you can see if it's leaking and at what point. a LOT of coolant loss happens at the valve cores (where you put more coolant in, they look like valve stems) because of cheap O-rings. have the system sucked out to see if it has a leak (saves time + $$). if it's good to go just charge it up. if it's a DIY job you may have to discon you low press sensor and jump the lead to get the a/c compressor to turn on. check all your fuses and relay to make sure that's not the problem. good luck.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:46 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

ok found the vacuum leak but were gonna just replace all of them just to make sure. gonna buy the stuff a little later in the week. so thanks guys..

Old 06-04-2006, 11:41 PM
neemo41

Once you fix a leak in an A/C system it must be vacuumed down before you recharge it with freon. Shops that do A/C work on cars have a vacuum pump that they use. I know the following sounds crazy but it worked for me.

My daughter has a 99 Neon and one of the metal lines in the A/C system rubbed up against something until it got a hole in it and it lost all of it's freon. I went to the salvage yard and got another line and bought new seals for it. Once I installed the new line I did not have access to a vacuum pump. I had bought one of these little cheap recharge kits, I still had an old one so I cut the end off of it and connected it to the low pressure line where you add freon and I put a vacuum line on the other end and connected it to a vacuum port coming off of the intake. I started the car and let it idle for about an hour. I then filled it with freon that I had goten from Walmart with the new recharge kit. I do not remember how much freon it took but I got the specs from a Haynes manual. It was a longshot and maybe a wacky idea but the A/C gets really cold now. This was done last July and it is still working fine.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

wheres the vacuum port on the AC lines? or is it the same one as the one where you put the freon in?

Old 06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
tomthedog
Captain

same place. use the bigger/low press tube to vac/fill. good luck.

Quick Reply: A/C and vacuum question-