1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dodge NeonCD player, SP ERR, speakers problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 AM
ev1ad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge NeonCD player, SP ERR, speakers problems

If someone has a SP ERR with his stereo in his dodge neon or other chrysler vehicule here is how to fix it:

1. First of all, this is for everyone with a factory cassette or cd player with factory speakers. For everyone else, you could still try it.

2. Check which side, where the sound doesn't come. right side or left side.
Do not bother to check if the tweeter or the 6x9 functions or not, it is a waste of time.

3. If you do not know it, the front door speakers are prone to weather damage (do to humidity build-up), therefore your problem is there.

4. take off the door panel, by paying attention not to break the electric control of the door and the window (if you have them, because there you will have a serious problem.)

5. Unscrew the speaker and unplug the plug connected to the speaker.

6. Check if the copper contacts are oxidized in the plug and in the speaker. If it is the case, Bingo you found the problem. Or else I cannot help more. If it's the case and the copper contacts are oxidized ( their's green stuff on the copper contacts), take apart the plastic plug. On neons between 1995 to 1999, the plug is in two parts, one part is black, the other is beige.

7. Take apart the two parts carefully, without breaking them. Withdraw the copper contact from the plastic parts and scrape them with a screwdriver for better contacts, or clean them with a sand brush , or clean them with a copper cleaner to remove oxidation. rub the contacts with linen only (I did not test it, but it might work.)

8. Put back everything and Presto it should work!

By the way, if you break the plastic plug. the only thing to do, is to cut the wire and try to plug iton the speaker contacts. Chrysler do not make the plug anymore so be careful.

There you have it. Have fun!!!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:36 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dodge NeonCD player, SP ERR, speakers problems

hmmm is this only if sound doesn't come out of the speakers? or that the radio wont turn on?

Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 AM
ev1ad

It was each time when I turned On the stereo, the sound whould only come up on the left side, and the stereo would display SP ERR.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:45 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhh ok nvm then lol

Old 06-09-2006, 04:18 PM
bishop
Professional

yeah the same thing happend to me but the speaker was seised up and just ... fryed so i replaced em

Quick Reply: Dodge NeonCD player, SP ERR, speakers problems