1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

High Idle and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:53 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Idle and Brakes

Hey guys i think i've figured out somewhat maybe as to why my idle is still a little high and the brakes aren't that good at all. while i was waiting in a parking lot waiting for my dad to come out of work i turned it on and then placed it in N and pulled up the E-brake and then kept on stepping on the brakes faster and faster and while i was doing it. within every pump the RPMs began to rise. so my guess would be one of the vacuum hoses from the brake booster to whereever is leaking which would cause the "vacuum leak" code to show up. (there is a vacuum hose from the brake booster to what not isn't there?). what made me relize it was that i noticed that when the car wasn't running within 2 pumps of the brakes the brakes got hard and then when i turned the car on it went straight to the floor. any ideas? oh also how do you figure out why the ABS light is on?

Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High Idle and Brakes

[size=1]
99% of cars in the US use vac assited brakes. check the BIG round thing (vac booster) to the rear of your brake resv. should be a large dia hose comming from that to yor intake. look for cracks in this hose. sounds like you have a vac leak somewhere. my vac leak also caused a high idle (cracked plastic intake fixed with epoxy). if that's ok look at your EGR sys/pipe. good luck.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:31 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion

the plastic intake is cracked on it as well... but its ducktaped like crazy...

Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
tomthedog
Captain

i'm betting on the intake. the tape trick worked for me all of 5 min (even duct tupe don't last forever). put a vacum on the brake booster to see if it's the booster or some place else. where on the intake is cracked, and how bad?

Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

its cracked half down on the the little plastic ridge in the middle. it was only like maybe inch or so long. didn't think about it though as causing another vacuum leak... the breaks still didn't work all that great when it cracked and the check engine light was on before so i dont really think its the intake but who knows it could be 2 or more vacuum hoses. i replaced one cause i knew it was leaking (it was all cracked up and down it and all that ugly stuff)

Old 06-16-2006, 06:23 PM
tomthedog
Captain

try fixing the intake with epoxoy. scuff up the crack with some 100 grit paper, wipe it down with some isoprop alcohol. if you found 1 bad vac hose you might have more, hoses would be my 1st step. good luck.

Quick Reply: High Idle and Brakes