1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dodge Neon 97 DOHC won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 PM
machina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Neon 97 DOHC won't start.

Well let me start off by saying that i took this car to the shop for the same problem before. I talked to the mechanic but he wasn't very specific on what the problem was.
He said that there was a wire that was not sending the signal to the computer for the car to go off valet mode.

This is what's going on:

There's a non-factory alarm system on the car. I will turn the key all the way right up until ignition and dashboard readings all seem fine. When i try to start the car, nothing happens.

It's just dead. I checked my battery, alternator and wiring and they all seem to be fine.

So this is all leads me to believe since im getting the same symptoms again, that it might be the same problem i had in the past.

My question here is, I have concluded that the ignition system might be messed up, Or maybe the factory immobilizer is not disengagin.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

I really dont want to rely on messing with the battery. I tried to reset the battery by taking off the positive cable from the battery and leaving it idle so that the battery resets, but nothing happens.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dodge Neon 97 DOHC won't start.

Do you have a kill switch? It may be on.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:41 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Was the aftermarket alarm system installed professionally? Sounds like something in that system has shorted in my opinion. Check all your connections and all the wires. Is the car trying to start? Like, do you hear a clicking sound when you go to start the car? If so, it could be your starter going out too. Most of all, check all your connections, Neons are very picky as to their connections, clean off the terminals on the battery, check to make sure your starter's connections are all good! Keep us updated!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:31 AM
machina

The alarm was installed by someone, and from what i can tell, it was a decent job.

As far as checking my connectors, i checked everything. I clean my battery contacts and whatnot, checked every fuse and even checked the starter fuse by the engine.

I need to find out one thing, and that is to find where the ignition module is at.

Someone told me that they are located in the bottom somewhere so i might have to look around to find it.

Does anyone know where the computer is located in this neon?

Old 06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: machina
Does anyone know where the computer is located in this neon?
It's right by the driver's side fender, just above the window washer fluid filler neck.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
tomthedog
Captain

might not work with the alarm sys, but you could try the screwdriver on the starter trick, just to see if the starter is good.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:10 PM
machina

thanks for the info on the computer.

tomthedog, do i have to mess with the screwdriver so that i get a spark from the ignition?

Quick Reply: Dodge Neon 97 DOHC won't start.