1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Overheating..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating..

So I got bored the other day and decided to take off my intake manifold and clean/paint it... In the process I remember how my car keeps overheating.. I replaced the rad. cap, got all the air outta the system, filled the antifreeze to proper levels. It helped for a bit, then once again, I started overheating again. So I decide to take out the radiator while I already have 1/2 of the front of the engine apart, I take it off, flush it out and start to rinse off the front.. I am spraying the front when suddenly a spot in the fins of the radiator fall through... WTF? the spot was about the size of I would say a large orange... All the fins looked corroded and such.. So yeah, if you have a overheating problem, I highly suggest you check your radiator!!

Question with all this: Anybody know anything about the radiators you can get on Ebay? I dont have 150 bucks to sink into a new copper radiator from an autostore, I can get one for 60 or 70 on Ebay... Thanks!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:31 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Overheating..

ORIGINAL: das2123

NEONRT98, your radiator could be clogged or going bad.
Hmmm, so I was right . I would think the radiators on eBay would work fine. Are they any cheaper at your local parts store?

Old 07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Yeah, that damn thing just fell to peices practically! Haha, I am glad I took the stuff apart now! The radiators at the parts store are about 150..

Also, did the R/T come stock with a chrome fuel rail? Any suggestions on cleaning it out?

I got my intake manifold painted :-D Things are starting to come together slowly but surely, I wanna take the CAI I designed and get another fabricated so its all one solid peice, the one I have now looks... ghetto.. haha.. but it works!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NEONRT98
Also, did the R/T come stock with a chrome fuel rail? Any suggestions on cleaning it out?
Yes and no, I don't have any suggestions.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:42 PM
tomthedog
Captain

to clean the fuel rail use naval jelly. you have to pull the injectors and replace the o-rings before you start. this is pretty nasty stuff, you DO NOT want any on your skin. cleans like you wouldn't believe!!!

a quicker way to go is use the dip-type carb cleaner (not spray can). you dunk the part in the can let it soak for a bit and it comes out clean. if your rail is just a little gumed up this is the way to go. can get both at your parts store/boat shop. good luck.

Quick Reply: Overheating..