1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

losing power after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 AM
01dodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing power after warmed up

96 neon all stock parts . This is my race car im having trouble with [1/4 mile dirt track]
i run about 6 laps , car running great. we get a coution , we slow down for a lap or two
and when we restart my car then has no power I'm lucky to be running 20 - 30 mph. so far today
i have changed the fuel filter , blew out the fuel line and draind out the tank. i haven't ran it yet to see if it helped yet but does anybody have any other ideas. This has happened 3 times . If i let it cool down for a half hour between races it will run fine till restart after coution. ????????????[:@]

Old 07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: losing power after warmed up

sounds like some type of heat soak problem. don't happen when your running 'cause of the air flow (or fuel flow) over the bad part. as soon as you slow down, the heat builds up then you get the problem.

do you have any codes when hot/cold? i know some mods are required for dirt (glass and whatever else) so what do mean by stock, havn't touched the motor? what type of motor, sohc or dohc? stick or auto trans? let us know.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Dirt track? Check your air filter?

Old 07-14-2006, 01:03 AM
01dodge
Rookie

its sohc , standard and its not the air filter. it was to go on the cumputer tonite but the guy couldnt show up at the last minute. ihave also changed the O2 sencer , there is no water in the plugs but put in new plugs [champion oem copper}. also has msd coil ,no after market air filter. i'll get to run it friday before we head to the races to see if any of that worked. but any more sug. would be helpful.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:07 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

I have a trike that used to do that in a way. It would run wicked when it was cold. But it got hot and just bogged. I rebuilt it and it ran like a raped ape.

Might wanna try a compression test when cold and one when its at operational temperature.

Just a thought?

Quick Reply: losing power after warmed up