1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

succesful battery relocation to the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
neon.ace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default succesful battery relocation to the trunk

I have succesfully relocated my batter to the trunk of my 98 neon. This has opened up alot of free space under the hood for a CAI or a short ram intake. I used 4 ga. (I personally am MECP and I checked with an old boss of mine who is MECP master to make sure 4 ga. was going to work o.k.) wire and ran it from the fuse box under the hood to the drivers side rear of the trunk. I used a inline fuse fusing it at 60 amps (I thought that would be sufficient due to the largest fuse in the car is 40 amp). I then bought a ground wire from the local auto parts store. All of the wires coming off the ground from under the hood were grounded elsewhere and it seems to work just fine. Starts up perfectly. the wire was ran through the firewall by the brake master cylinder/booster, by the hood release, under the floor carpet and up into the trunk where I cut a hole in the carpet for the exit of the wire. I also bought new termilnals for the battery. Overall it took my about 3-4 hours and some cursing but, was VERY MUCH worth it. Now I have ample room for my intake.

Peace and quail grease.
neon.ace

Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Jellysrus
Rookie
Default RE: succesful battery relocation to the trunk

i am getting ready to put my batt. in the trunk about haow long did it take and haow much was the wire??[X(]

Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 AM
neon.ace
Default RE: succesful battery relocation to the trunk

Well as I was buying my wire I was talking with my old boss and he was telling me about copper being at one of the highest prices in years so wire prices will increase (not much but, they will). I got my wire 17 feet (just to be safe), terminal, inline fuse and fuse holder, for $55.00. Now if I got a deal because I am a friend of the owner/boss but, I expect it would be around there. Get your ground wire from an auto parts store. Get a short run no more than 3-5 feet. Whenever you ground something that draws alot of current on a car you want to scrape all of the paint and primer off of where you are going to install your ground. Get the area around there down to bare metal and install the ground somewhere near the mid/top of the trunk. Keep it off the floor due to moisture and water. I used a self tapping nut with washer to secure my ground and it is working flawlessly. Be innovative with how you secure your battery. Do whatever is going to work for you. Any other ?'s don't hesitate to ask and I will get back with you a.s.a.p. Peace and quail grease.

Quick Reply: succesful battery relocation to the trunk