1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 R/T wont start on its own.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:43 PM
tdawg30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 R/T wont start on its own.

My girlfriend just got this car like 2 weeks ago and we had to get a new battery for it and thats it. well the car started fine and ran great for a week or so after she put the battery in, but when she put her phone charger in the lighter socket to charge, then turned the car off and tried to turn it back on.......there was absolutely nothing. so power whatsoever. I took the alternator out and took it in to test it and the guy at napa said it was putting out more that it needed to be.

So my question is what do you think this could be?????? Voltage regulator, bad cables, because it starts right up with a jump.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Default RE: 98 R/T wont start on its own.

Check the posts for corrosion, make sure they are good clean connections.. Make sure your grounds are all good and secure on BOTH ends, the battery end and the block end...

Old 08-28-2006, 01:28 AM
tdawg30

ok well I figured out there was a short in a wire somewhere. It is the wire that goes to the interior lights and accesories.when the fuse was in, the car wouldnt start, but with it out, it starts up fine. Now the only problem is that the radio and dome light doesnt come on. What would I do to fix the whole deal????

Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Start tracing your lines looking for shorts or pinched wires. Do you have an aftermarket deck installed? If so, who installed it? Pull it out and make sure you dont have any exposed, crossed, damaged or pinched wires.

Quick Reply: 98 R/T wont start on its own.