1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 AM
DNeon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs?

I was checkin out the FAQS that Das put up.
was jus wonderin doesnt iridium burn hotter then platinum? ppl are sayin that Platinums bad cause it burns too hot. an it says on the FAQ that the NGK Iridiums are aight. jus wonderin if I got my info strait on the iridiums.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:25 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: Spark Plugs?

Platinum errodes on the opposite polarity plug and if not a double platinum plug is an issue. They do not burn hot they just have a fine compressed point to fire from lowering arc over voltage making it more likely to fire lowering chances for a misfire. Standard Platinum plugs according to Bosch, Autolite and other manufacturers are not compatible with DIS ignition systems such as the NEON and thus should not be used. Double Platinum plugs were developed eliminating the performance problems with regulat Platinum plugs and thus giving DIS car a long life plug. Now car are shifting to Iridium plugs with COP (Coil Over Plug ignition systems) giving great performance and long life. Those have Platinum tipped groud electrodes and Irdium post Center electrodes.

Iridiums should be just fine, Double Pltinums, or plane jane Copper Plugs. Just not any single platinum plugs at all please. All covered in the Sticky post on the main page covering spark plugs. Why oh why everyone has to keep tring Bosch Platinum +4's, +2's, or Standard Platinums, or another brand when they admit they are not compatible is beyound me. That is like you could use those $40 brake rotors instead of the $30 rotors but you will have problems even though they are the High Performance Option for an original Mini. Whoppie! Use the Copper cores and be happy. If you hate changing plugs so often Get some Double Platinum Autolites and be much happy for 50K+ miles. Similar life to Iridium.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:52 AM
DNeon
Professional

Thanx for clearing that up. I new pretty much erything you said, except for the opposite polarity an fine compressed point an stuff. I bought NGK platinums, not knowin that platinum itself was bad jus thought it was BOSCH +4's etc. that wasnt too good for the car, anyway I returned it an bought the OEM ones. an was jus wonderin if I shoulda went wit the Iridiums. any advantages on the iridiums? any input on the silverstones? I'm jus curious I dun think I'ma b goin out to buy silverstones for my car.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 PM
ewetho
All Star

Iridiums will work just fine for longer life (Factory iridium plugs have .7mm center electrodes vs. .4mm performance plugs) just like a Double Platinum. Not a big performance gains just lack of required maintenance. Would just stick to copper core. I have Double platinum and when I change next will probably go back to Champion. Not a big deal. Copper are CHEAP and work great.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs?