1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

97 neon brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
saar42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 neon brakes

Hello,

I hope that I am not asking anything too stupid. I really don't know much about cars. Here is my problem:

My brakes make the most god-awful squealing noise any time it is humid outside or it rains. If I have them cleaned at the garage, they stop making the noise for a few months, but then they will start up again. The guy at the dealership said that this is a common problem for my model of car. It is a 2-door manual 1997. I think it is an "ex" if that means anything. I have had the pads replaced a couple of times now.

Is this a common occurence? Is there any way for me (keeping in mind that I am not a car person) to clean them myself?

I also am wondering if there is a picture anywhere of the fuse box, and which fuse I need to replace for my rear window defrost. The only picture I could find online was for a 1995 with a/c. My car has no a/c. Would I still use the same picture?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sara

Old 09-25-2006, 12:11 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 97 neon brakes

The squealing is common. Usually it's from brake dust that builds up on the rotors and then makes the squealing sound. Also depends on what type of brake pads you are buying. Some may squeal more than others, depending on the compound used.

You have two fuse boxes, one on the driver's side of the dash between the door and the dash. The other is under the hood just behind the battery. This one is called your PDC (Power Distribution Center).

Quick Reply: 97 neon brakes