1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

subs went wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 AM
iwalton63
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subs went wrong

well not much do deal with neons.. but i figured somone could help me out.

I have a 95 sohc and decided to hook my subs up again in it.......
I wired everything ( 8g power, ground, remote, av,speaker wire) and they worked fine. The subs are two 12" Type E. I have a 500 watt amp i got from one of my friends. Everything was going good, then I was on my way to work and the subs cut out( like the just stoped working ) not really a big deal. So I got to work and messed around with them and it was just the remote wire came loose. I hooked that back up and they worked again. Then on my way home from work they worked at first, but I started to smell somthing like burning. I looked in the back seat and the amp was sparking like crazy and it was smoking. The back seat was filled with smoke. My first idea that came to my mind was to uplug everything...so I hurried up and disconected everything to the amp. and as of now I have no subs.
The car ride is way to boring. What do you think is wrong with them? Is it the amp, or is the power wire to weak or what ?

anything you guys know of would help.

thanks alot

Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Default RE: subs went wrong

Well the type E has a 250 rms rating.

Do you run your amp at its max? As in have all the gains set to full? How loud was your system when it burnt?

Best way to see what melted it tear open the amp or take the subs off the amp and see if it will power up. If not, its probably done.
I've had amps smoke like crazy before, let them cool down and they worked great after that. Maybe it was a perk of having a discount brand of amp lol.

Its probable the power wire was to small, but it would of kicked the fuse under the hood if it was, assuming you have an inline fuse.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 AM
iwalton63
Professional

Yeah it was maxed out... and it was pretty freakin loud.
What do you mean take the subs of the amp...just not connect the speaker wires or what ?and yes i have a inline fuse but it did not blow that. do you think if i just turn the amp levels down a bit it would makea difference or not ?

Old 09-27-2006, 05:35 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

there is a difference between loud and distorted, if you smoked your amp, you were probly well into distortion, or have a 4 ohm amp hooked up with a 2ohm load mono or somethin similar and overheated it to hell

Old 09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah maybe your ohmage was wrong.....if you have the subs hooked up in a different ohm that the amp is able to push, then your gonna fry sumthing....sounds like there could be a short in the amp.....a few amps ive had have actually had flames comming out of them, and still worked fine......one time i had an amp that was sparking and i relized that when i screwed the amp down to the back of the seat and ran the wires under the seat back, i put one of the mounting screws through the power wire.....

Old 09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
jkgoff2007

Yeah i had that problem to.
The first time it did that was becuase somebody had pulled the fuse to my amp causing it to overheat.
Second time was because my box was to small for my sub and it was it so hard and fast that it was causing the box to heat up and catch fire. ( thats what i think because when i smelled it i walked to my trunk and the smoke was coming from the hole out the hole in the side of the box(bandpass box))
Good luck fixing it

Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the box wouldnt heat up and catch fire, but the subs would.....if they dont have enough air then you basically sufocating them......so the subs start working harder then they are supposed to and the voicecoils start over heating from the friction......when subs smoke....that is why and then they start to "puke"

Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 PM
dj_mars

i have 2 15" RF punch power dvc and the amp i was running with a power 800a.2 did the same **** fried....tweeters in aroura told me the amp was trying to suck more jucie that the alternator would put out and over heated the amps internals the thermal protetion didnt work so it burned up

Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
dj_mars

running subs hard with a stock alt just sitting at a stop light is not good if u have a volt meter watch the volts bounce like crazy 12.5 back to 14

Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 PM
spudsterier
Legend

after i sold my 4-12's, i bought an audiobahn immortal 12" sub and had it in a slotted box, and i got an audiobahn 1200 watt high current.....the sub had 4-2ohm voicecoils so it was ran really low......i couldnt stop at a stop sign without the car actually dieing....even driving 70 mph down the road, when the bass would hit the car would bogg down and almost die.....so it all depends on how everything is ran....and the difference of ohmage can fry amps....get capacitors and you wont have a power loss problem....

i never liked tweeters...they are way over priced....the one in aurora has alot of nice cars that go in there though...a friend of mine stopped in there about a week ago and he said there was a like 18 year old girl there in a lamborghini mercialoga.....damn rich people

Quick Reply: subs went wrong