1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning

my 95 sohc is equipped with ac, but it doesnt seem to work. However, I dont know if its just in need of a recharge, because from what I read, the idle is supposed to pick up a little when you turn it on, and usually they make a "click" when you turn the ac on. Mine does not. Whats up with that? The belt is still there are like 90% tight, it squeeked a little bit in the rain one time, so I havent tightened it yet, but its still turning it fine.

Maybe someone should first explain normal AC operation, you turn the fan to the left and it blows, it blows the exact same as if you turned it the other way. No clicks, no higher idle (though it does idle high normally anyways, still havent figured that one out yet) and it just turns the fan on as if it were turned the other way

Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: Air conditioning

Yes the Idle should pick up some because your using an accesesory, if you turn the cold air on but its luke warm or not even that then your system might need recharged, either that or you have a leak somewhere, and the click your talking about is the blower,it makes a slight little noise for each different level of power you set it at, that goes for ac and the fans, if its not making a click there could be a chance that your blower isn't reiceiving the power it needs to maintain at it's normal operating level or it could be an early sign that your blower might be ready to go. belt squeal is normal when it rains and as well for morning starts and winter time, and thats just beacause of the weather, dew all that good stuff. hope some of that was helpfull !!

Old 10-14-2006, 02:40 AM
FyreDaug
Veteran

Well no I meant the click from the ac clutch to engage it, I dont hear that

Old 10-14-2006, 07:13 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

just do this, your good at wiring

[IMG]local://upfiles/37714/263F60C3DCC945798238679261784618.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 AM
FyreDaug
Veteran

I could, but too ghetto for my liking

Old 10-14-2006, 08:45 AM
FyreDaug
Veteran

and, you know the cost of buying the unit, the placement and the cutting. I already thought of it
jk

Old 10-15-2006, 02:34 AM
slow_hemi
Rookie

your AC compressor will not click or put a drag on the motor if it is not fully charged. There is a low and a high pressure switch that will cut off the system if its not up to pressure. if you look at the front of the compressor the center part of the pully (clutch) will not be turning with the system turned off but will spin with it on. Y you can unplug the low pressure switch and use a paperclip to jump the 2 wires and fool the system to see if it will turn on but dont let it cycle for more than a minute or youll lockup the compressor. This is just a test to see if the system is working and just needs a recharge or if you need a new compressor.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning